Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just got my baby boy (two months old today) yesterday, and I'm really nervous about scaring him in his first few days here. He is definitely far less confident than he was at the breeder's, but I know that that's normal at first. Yesterday I took him out in the evening and he sniffed around a little and I fed him and I put him in the pocket of my hoody. I want to do the same today to start making it a routine but every time i try gently to pick him up he starts and huffs and rolls into a ball. Is it really bad if he jumps a little? Also, the temperature in here is around 68º -- is that warm enough? I really just want to get him acclimated and happy and I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm pretty new here too, and if anyone needs to correct me, please do! 68* is cold for a hedgie. They do better between 73* and 80*. The hissing and popping (jumping) is him trying to scare you off, don't let him and he'll learn that you're a good person, and slowly stop the hissing and puffing up.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You want this book. (It's free)

That's very cold for a little hedgehog.

He's going to ball up and be nervous. Handle him anyway, or he'll decide that's a great way to scare you off forever. Be consistent and gentle; eventually he'll learn that you aren't going to eat him. Let him sleep during the day, then wake him up for bonding in the evening or at night. A routine can help both of you. Give him something that smells like you (a shirt you've worn with no loose threads; a chunk of fleece you've slept with..) to start associating your smell with a cozy, warm place to snooze.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I think I will do that (buy a heat emitter). He just tried to sleep under his wheel and I think that's bad -- I moved him back to his hidey hut and hopefully he'll sleep there... I had him eating turkey out of my hand earlier, though, so that's good!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do be careful with hand feeding. I would recommend that you get a small bowl or dish to feed him out of so that he doesn't begin o associate your hands with food. That is one of the best ways to get them to start biting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.