Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I’ve had my hedgehog for more than a year now and i’ve been looking after her and playing with her as recommended but she still so scared of everything. when i take her out i hold her for about 10 minutes until she gets restless, climbs out and runs into a corner and just sits there. I don’t know what to do because it’s been so long since i first got her and she’s still so anxious ;(

· Registered
August (Gus/Auggie). 31/10/21
590 Posts
Some hedgehogs just do not like to be held, or appreciate being out of their comfort zone much if at all regardless of how often you interact with them or how much time you spend with them.
I will ask though; when you have her out, do you hold her in your hand or do you let her snuggle up in a pouch or blanket? My previous hog would sleep like a rock anywhere, and wouldn’t mind being handled at all. But my current boy quickly becomes restless if you’re simply handling him, and prefers snuggling up to you on a blanket or being in a snuggle pouch.

· Registered
13 Posts
Some hedgehogs just do not like to be held, or appreciate being out of their comfort zone much if at all regardless of how often you interact with them or how much time you spend with them.
I would agree with this too, some are just loners that aren't crazy about people all that much. Hands on time is very important but doesn't always work.

· Registered
4 Posts
Our current retired breeder hog doesn't like handling in any shape or form. She can't be trained or bonded with after two years of daily attention. What we do though is let her sit next to us on a giant picnic blanket sized fleece blanket that is folded many times.

She goes fast to sleep in the middle while we watch TV and honestly it is the nicest feeling knowing she is close by, safe and comfy.

We sometimes even put our nightvision camera in the blanket so we can see her sleeping for added cuteness. If we take her out though she is the grumpiness monster you'd ever meet 🤣

Your hedgie might not like being held but that just means they love to sleep and feel safe so try getting them bundled up on the neighboring seat on the couch and just enjoy that close proximity along with the knowledge you are being a great owner by providing for them as your reward. 😊

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.