Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can i get a cheap scale to way my little one. I think he is starting to get a little fat. I want to monitor his weight. Also what should a hedgehog weight in the scale you are listing (another words if you suggest a scale the mesures in grams how many grams and if you suggest a scale that messures in Oz what should he way in that)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hedgehogs should be round, so if your little guy can still roll into a ball, he's generally not overweight.
Since hedgehogs come in so many different sizes, there is no one right weight.

You can buy a nice scale at a tobacco shop, or in most cooking sections in large stores (like Wal-mart, K-mart, Target etc.) Just make sure the scale goes up to 1000gs (you hedgehog should not weight that much, but I once bought a scale that only measured up to 350gs and had to return it.)
You could also try shopping online, I did a search on amazon and this is what came up http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search- ... ale&page=1

·
Registered
475 Posts
I bought a scale at walmart for about $15, but it was not digital. It would not stay calibrated and thus was not good for keeping accurate weights. I took it back and purchased a nice digital scale off eBay for $20. You can even change it from grams to ounces. It came with a small bowl, which is useful at helping to keep the hedgehog still when weighing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hedgies have a huge weight range. As adults, they are considered small but not unusual to be around 250 grams and are obese if they are so heavy they can't roll into a ball. Some hefty hedgies can be up to 800ish grams? Someone correct me if I'm way off. Average would be in the 300-500 range. I don't really know for sure, but that's just what I've pieced together from being around here for a few months.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
There have been a lot of good scales suggested, one of those should be perfect. It should measure in AT LEAST 2 gram increments. I have a Good Cook digital scale I got at WalMart for $20 and it works great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See i dont know if he can role into a ball still or not for the fact he never does. He did when i first got him but now he is just so comfortable around me and most people he dosnt roll into a ball. If he is grumpy he justs hufs rather than rolls into a ball.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can you try to "sit" him on your palm? I have one boy who is incredibly out going, but if you "sit" him on your palm he rolls into a ball, if only for a second.

·
Administrator
3,729 Posts
There are lots of good cheap ones on amazon. I've been eyeing a smaller scale for traveling. But as mentioned, look in the kitchen section of any department type store, you likely to find one there. I personally look for one that weighs down to 1 gram, weighs up to at least 2.5-3 lbs, and has a bowl or allows for a bowl to be attached easily.

As for the comment on what is an average weight... to be honest I don't tell people what an average weight for a hedgehog is anymore.... or try to avoid it. Hedgehogs come in so many different sizes... I seem to be a magnet for big hedgehogs. I just calculated the weight for the hedgehogs I have cared for over the years. The average for weights is over 550grams. That number is only that low because it includes 2 that were under 300 grams at their healthy weights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts