Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been using sawdust as Honeys bedding for three weeks now - since we got her. I checked with the pet store and it is pine wood. At first I was worried about her getting a respiratory problem with it - she was sneezing abit when we first had her. This has now cleared up, and i think it was proberly due to something else. She loves to snuggle up under the sawdust and make her bed out of it, but it gets stuck all over her spikes and causes a right mess every time I get her out.
I noticed alot of owners on her use fleece liners and cloth materials for their hedgies beds? If I change Honey's bedding to this would she still be able to snuggle up in it, or do you think it would stress her out!??

THANKS
Sarah & Honey

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
A lot of owners that use fleece liners for their cages cut some of the fleece into strips for their hedgehog's igloo or bag, for them to dig in and snuggle in. I do this for Lily, and she likes them. I like using fleece much better too, it's less messy and definitely less expensive.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'd change over to fleece... fast.

Sawdust just seems like a recipe for respiratory disaster. I know my lungs do well with it at all and can't imagine how much more difficult it would be if I only had a tiny hedgie-sized respiratory system.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Can't the sawdust get in the girl parts? I was thinking that's why some wood bedding isn't used with girls.

I'm a boy-owner, what do I know. I know I use fleece and love it!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts