Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are varying opinions on this, but I wanted to share my experience over the last month or two since I’ve started offering my hog a sandbox. I started giving him one in response to a long post on this that popped up on this forum about the pros and cons of them. He has literally been transformed into a new hog. I wouldn’t say he was filthy before, but he did require a wash anywhere from once a month to once a week because of feet covered in poop or dirty looking quills. Since he’s had a sand box I have literally never seen a spec of poop on him, on his feet, or even his nails. In addition his belly fur seems a lot softer and possibly even thicker and whiter. His quills also look extra shiny! Anyways I felt like this journey l was important to share, I can’t imagive not giving him sand now after seeing how much better he seems to look and feel! 🦔 And I reckon he likes me better for not making him get wet all the time, water really scared him. 🦔 ❤

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly with me but huffy with others.
2,011 Posts
Not critizing. Because this really is amazing, and its so useful that your sharing this.

But for benefits of other readers who read this and think its a great story may want to know what sand you used - perhaps a picture of the bag or the name and brand, or even a link just so people know what one it is that your saying works wonders

Also if your only giveing it to him once a week, how come he never has poop on his feet or dirt anywhere ?? Or are you leaving it in the cage and then changing it once a week ??

·
Registered
468 Posts
That’s a great experience! From your description, it sounds like the same idea as an exfoliating salt scrub we would use 🙂 I’m glad your kiddo enjoys it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes good point. This is the brand I’ve been using. It seems very soft sand, I got it on amazon. I give him the sandbox I would say about five days a week now, then change out the sand about once a week. Second pic is the log sand box I made him. At first I used a low-walled dish type thing but he kicks sand absolutely everywhere when he’s rolling in it so I had to make something more covered lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I've brought some pro rep dessert sand its due Monday, so I'll be able to see whats that like for myself. If it doesnt do too well I'm trying this one !! I love that log sand box its really cool whats it made from ??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds good, let us know how you get on with it! I’m curious to see if other hogs love the sand as much. The log is just made from a rigid card like mounting board that I bend and glue together, it’s great for making toys.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Ooo I have lots of that, I'm gonna play next weekend !!!!
I'll defintly let everyone know how Holly goes with her sand either Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh yes good point. This is the brand I've been using. It seems very soft sand, I got it on amazon. I give him the sandbox I would say about five days a week now, then change out the sand about once a week. Second pic is the log sand box I made him. At first I used a low-walled dish type thing but he kicks sand absolutely everywhere when he's rolling in it so I had to make something more covered lol.
howdy, where did you get your rigid cardboard?
This sounds weird, but I'm really trying to do something about his stinkiness :D

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Its rigid card, basically is like card but thicker but its not as thick as cardboard. Its card thats around 300gsm thickness.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get most of mine from my work, but you can buy it in craft/art shops as well it’s usually referred to as ‘greyboard’ or ‘mounting card’. It’s great for constructing hog toys because it holds up a bit better then corrugated cardboard. 🦔

1 - 11 of 11 Posts