Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I became Dobby's mama on June '15. At that moment he's 2 mos old and yesterday he turned 3 mos. :grin:

I wanted to have someone to talk to since I'm usually alone in my dorm room (And must be quiet to be not noticed by our landlord). After some research about how expensive and high maintenance a gold fish was, one of my friends suggested a hedgehog.

I started doing some research and got my roommates' approval.

This is my second time owning a hedgehog. The first one was named 'Churros' and my friends and roommates immediately fell in love with him. Unfortunately, during the second week he kept escaping his cage and one day, of all days that my phone's battery would die, one of my roommate told me that he wasn't in his cage and thought that I brought him with me... in short, he was gone... for good and it was a really heart breaking experience. :cry:

With additional research for Dobby I just realized that Churros was really stressed and the previous owner/breeder didn't seem to take good care it him.

Feeling lonely once again I thought of buying a second hedgehog, hence Dobby. :smile:

Dobby is really cute, sensitive and fun to be with. I honestly bought him still not over my little Churros but when Dobby started letting me hold him I knew that I had to become a better owner and learn more about them.

I want to return the happiness he brings me by providing him his needs and taking care of him.

I look forward to everyone willing to help newcomers like me, here in Hedgehog Central. <3 <3 <3

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :) Dobby is adorable.

Just saying though, if you think a goldfish is expensive & high maintenance, well...a hedgehog is the same or worse. Please make sure you have money set aside for a vet fund, an absolute minimum of $200 ($500 is better). If you don't, start ASAP. Vet expenses are by far the thing most overlooked with hedgehogs & it's the most important.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. :) Dobby is adorable.

Just saying though, if you think a goldfish is expensive & high maintenance, well...a hedgehog is the same or worse. Please make sure you have money set aside for a vet fund, an absolute minimum of $200 ($500 is better). If you don't, start ASAP. Vet expenses are by far the thing most overlooked with hedgehogs & it's the most important.
By researching I just realized that you're right. Though I think what made me choose to take care of a hedgehog is the space... I don't have any place for an aquarium here in my dorm room and with a hedgehog What I invested in first is the cage, lamp, food, water bottle thingy, bedding and a few toys...

I occasionally add things when I get my allowance... :grin:

I'm here in the Philippines though I asked a known vet this morning about how much it would cost me for a check up and they said about Php500/$11.09. (That's per check up.)

Thank you so much for your welcome and for the compliments... I'm glad to be here and I'm willing to spend just to give my little Dobby a long, healthy, happy life. :):):)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, make sure that Dobby is in an escape proof cage. With some guys it seems to be a constant check and adjust something in their cage.
Thanks I assure that it's 97% escape proof :lol::lol::lol:

But he did escape once and got me scared because of the same experience I had with my first hedgie.. :-?

With that said I did some adjustments after the incident.. Thanks for your concern. <3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts