Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peanut is a salt and pepper hedgehog I dont see why they call them that Because the salt part of him is tan not white! lol it doesent matter I think Salt and Pepper Hedgies are the cutest

·
Registered
475 Posts
To my knowledge.....Salt & Pepper.....is just another name for a standard Grey.
Just as, Tobiano.....means the same as.....Pinto. (edit: correction)

Bryan, would be able to confirm if this is correct or not.

Reaper, you are correct. It was just too early in the morning and I meant to type PINTO. :roll:

·
Registered
543 Posts
The term Salt & Pepper is vastly over used by some breeders and pet stores. True S&P's are black as black can be and as white as a sheet of paper...brilliant white. Not tan or cream. True salt and peppers are very very rare. I am sure Bryan will chime in on this as he is the expert. Most likely your hedgie by what you describe is a grey, chocolate, or brown. And the term tobiano is the same as a pinto if I am not mistaken. I will learn more next weekend when Bryan gives his seminar on colors.

·
Registered
336 Posts
PixiesExoticHedgies said:
Reaper said:
I will learn more next weekend when Bryan gives his seminar on colors.
When and where? or will it be an online chat seminar?
Will he have paper materials that people can get copies of.....if this is a long distance seminar?
I am pretty sure this seminar will be given at the Milwaukee show.

·
Registered
228 Posts
As Reaper has already mentioned, Salt & Pepper is not the general term that many pet stores and some inexperienced breeders apply to the colour Chocolate.

True Salt & Pepper has a very dark, black mask and white quills that are banded by black - not tan or brown! If you are seeing tan and brown I'll put money on it being a Chocolate. (and I'm no betting man)

Below is a photo of a S&P and an Algerian Chocolate for comparison

Salt & Pepper
[attachment=1:2cmlu91d]s&p2.jpg[/attachment:2cmlu91d]

Algerian Chocolate
[attachment=0:2cmlu91d]achoc.jpg[/attachment:2cmlu91d]

Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Gnarly said:
I am pretty sure this seminar will be given at the Milwaukee show.
Yes, I'll be giving a seminar on understanding hedgehog color at Milwaukee next week. I've put together a DVD that, when used in conjunction with the Color Guide (http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/colorguide.shtml) should be a tremendous help to people trying to sort through all 92 colors.

It took me "only" 4 years to sort out all the colors, but it's taken me the remaining 10 years to sort all of that extremely complicated information into an easily explained format that readily makes sense. I'll have copies for sale after the show.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Wouldn't it, to be a snowflake, be a Salt & Pepper snowflake? Not black snowflake? Because I think black is the term for algerian, and salt & pepper for wb. :?:

·
Registered
475 Posts
LizardGirl said:
Because I think black is the term for algerian, and salt & pepper for wb. :?:
Good followup question......I asked about the BLACK, specifically because my entire herd is Algerian and I tend to breed for the Algerian variety. I'm not as familiar with all the WB terms.

Pixie

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I think (not sure) that Salt & Pepper is basically the Algerian black, in WB. Both (I think, again) are the darkest in the color range for each...?

·
Registered
228 Posts
LizardGirl said:
I think (not sure) that Salt & Pepper is basically the Algerian black, in WB. Both (I think, again) are the darkest in the color range for each...?
That's right. Salt & Pepper is the darkest color form for the White-Bellied spectrum. Black is the darkest for the Algerian.
Neither is snowflake. They are both Standards - almost all of the the quills are banded

Bryan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bryan ,,,,,,please can you tell me how much your CD will cost ,,,,,cause i am a new brreder in québec Canada and i realy want one ,,I already print every things i can about color and genetic, and i try to realy understand a lot of things about that ,,i am sure you CD will help me a lot and a lot ,,,,,,,

I have 14 hedgehogs (6 males and 8 females) of many colors cause i want to be able to mix the color and obtain babies wich i almost choose the color but I have a long road to do to understand every things ,,,,If your Cd can give me a short cut ,,why not ??? :D :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts