Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, I have Salmonella...after four weeks of tests and back and forth to the hospital they finally concluded that it is Salmonella. Dr.s at first thought it was Chrons disease...all the same symptoms oddly enough. I started out with iv antibiotics today and have to go to the hospital everyday for the next four days for more. Wheeeeeee!!!! lol dr.s will re-asess me on the fourth day.

Stupid me, wasn't careful enough in my handwashing grrrrrrrrr :roll: Anybody know anything else I can do to protect myself? Oh, and is it advisable to clean and handle my boys while I have the iv line in my arm?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that hedgehogs rarely carry salmonella. You sure it was from them? Salmonella poisoning is much more likely from poor cooking or hand-washing while cooking (either at home or at restaurants).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the more I think of it the more I think it was food. We ordered some Chinese food around the time I started to get sick...maybe that was it. Either way, this isn't an experience I want to ever have again lol

·
Registered
372 Posts
Salmonella lasting 4 weeks? I'd find a new doctor.

No, you should not handle any animal as long as you have an IV cath in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my second doctor...I'm not sure what to do. I was on antibiotics first for Chrons Disease, then this second dr. found the salmonella in my samples, they said it looks like a multidrug resistant strain or something. GAHHHHH when will this end!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts