Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these componet safe for hedgehog?

A) sensory additives: tea extract (source of polyphens)
B) veggetables by-products

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,169 Posts
I cant see tea extract being any good at all. And not sure about how safe it is.

Vegetable-by products isnt really good but it is safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant see tea extract being any good at all. And not sure about how safe it is.

Vegetable-by products isnt really good but it is safe.
Cause here in italy i am having problems to find a good food for him. Now i find kibble with the right dmb percentages. Anyway the vet told me to feed him principally with canned food or others foods with hight moisture, therfore dry matter like kibbles.
The problem is to find a good canned food cause the better one i found have near 45% protein and less than 15% of fat, but they are still to hight to give him it like principally diet.
Reading the components same of them have “veggetables by-products” and they are the better cause of veggie in its so have less protein/fat percentages

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I'm all for wet food in the diet, but if you can still have some biscuits it would be a good thing to make sure they get the right nutrients.

Vegetable by-products doesnt mean you can't use the food, ideally it would be better without it, but its not the end of the world if foods have it!

Now something else, the protein are you trying mixing biscuits? So finding 2 and seeing if mixing them makes the protein 35% or around that?

Have you looked at the pinned post? Theres 2 really great ones on the nutrition a beginners one and then the advanced one, have a look at the beginners one defiantly it might really help.
Theres also one with a list of foods, they did their best to look at many countries so it might be worth looking to see if they have anything for Italy to help you out.

I am all pro using meats and stuff but I think biscuits should still be in the diet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm all for wet food in the diet, but if you can still have some biscuits it would be a good thing to make sure they get the right nutrients.

Vegetable by-products doesnt mean you can't use the food, ideally it would be better without it, but its not the end of the world if foods have it!

Now something else, the protein are you trying mixing biscuits? So finding 2 and seeing if mixing them makes the protein 35% or around that?

Have you looked at the pinned post? Theres 2 really great ones on the nutrition a beginners one and then the advanced one, have a look at the beginners one defiantly it might really help.
Theres also one with a list of foods, they did their best to look at many countries so it might be worth looking to see if they have anything for Italy to help you out.

I am all pro using meats and stuff but I think biscuits should still be in the diet.

I have read them many and many times and i have a question:
Mix food usually means to mix kibbles adn wet food and veggies or is just a mix of different kibbles?

I am actually using this DRY FOOD that is the lower % of fat I found: 31% protein; 10% crude fat; 9% moisture

Font Material property Paper Bottle Document
Food Product Gesture Ingredient Smile

Mixing with this WET FOOD, still the lower in fat i found: 9% protein; 2,6% fat, 81% moisture
that in in DMB are: 47% protein (hight i know), 13% fat (accettable i think)

Felidae Ingredient Pet supply Small to medium-sized cats Dish
Font Publication Terrestrial plant News Paper

When I bought WabiSabi he was feeded only with kibble with a ''supplement'' made by them with all the minerals etc they need and that you can buy in the store. At the first visit the vet told us to use principally wet food and not kibbles but never talk about any percentages of protein or fat in deatails. Btw i get informed by this community about the best pergentages to look in foods. So we started with same wet food looking day by day for others with better pergentages that lead me to use the 2 above. But from this point started the problem that Wabi start to want to eat only wet food so i need to moinsten kibbles and mix them with a bit of wet food that in the end is the best to reduce the hight protein percentage of wet food.
I am still looking if i can find same better wet and dry food with accetables percentages and these 2 look not bad at all:

DRY FOOD: protein 34%; fat oil 12%; crude ash 7,2%; crude fibres 9,8%; Calcium 0,99%; Phosphorus 0,95%
( maybe i see this one samewhere here in the website like one of the better i think but i am not sure)
Ingredient Recipe Natural foods Cuisine Food group
Hand Drinkware Finger Gesture Nail

WET FOOD: protein 7%; fat and oil 3,2%; crude ash 2,4% crude fibers 0,1%; moisture 82%
In DMB value: protein 38% ( a bit high but i think still ok) , fat 17% (a bit hight too) but it still look like the one of the best i found to be used like principally died mixed with a bit of moisturized kibbles to reduce the value.

Hand Fluid Finger Material property Gas
Light Circuit component Computer hardware Thumb Audio equipment

What do you think? Do you prefer highter protein value and lower fat like i have done or better little higher both fat and protein? still both mixed with low fat (10%) kibbles i am using

Attachments

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Generally mixing food is a mix of different biscuits.
For example I use 3 biscuits with varying fat and protein percentages but overall what she eats is around 35% protein and 12% or 13% fat (I cant remember I have it written somewhere)
Having a mix of 2 or more biscuits also helps should 1 brand have a problem you have a a safety net so your hog still has food they like and makes your life easier should something happen that you cant get 1 of the foods.

Adding verity is things like a mix of insects, this is important as there are some things they can only really get from them. Insects should make up a fairly big portion of the diet, Holly has 10 to 14 a day of medium sized insects.
I use locusts (hoppers), brown crickets, calciworms, isopods and dubia roaches. Using different mixes of these each day.

With wet food, the protein can go a little higher, because the extra moisture helps the kidneys to process the protein, just make sure that the wet meat is high in meat they struggle with plant matter having no ceacum so the more meat there is, the more the protein will be easy to digest making it a lot better if you do go a bit over the recomemned %.

Honestly with wet meat its going to vary who you ask, some think huge amounts is best and other think wet meat should be a treat. I opted to go somewhere between the 2. Its not a treat, but I only give it 1-2 times a week.
Rather than 4 days a week like some people do. Or once a month or only special occasions as a treat.

The dry food you have now (the only one I cam really see the ingredints and that of) looks pretty good to be honest. But could be worth mixing to get more verity with the ingredients and nutrients.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts