Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wondering; nothing serious. My little Tanziq normally freezes when I turn the light on in my room at night then goes running into her bed because she thinks the sun has suddenly popped up and it's time for bed again :D . However, just now, I turned on the light and she ran frantically around her cage for a few seconds, then went back to business in her wheel. Just wondering, as hedgehogs get older, do they understand that it is still night time even if a light comes on for a few minutes or does she maybe just have a lot of energy tonight? She is 9 months old.

I must say, I have never got to see her run in her wheel before. I guess she is shy :p so I had a lot of fun watching her for a while. She even noticed me watching her and came running over, sniffed me, gave me a little kiss on the finger, then went back to her wheel.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
She may just be a wheeling fanatic and has decided there is nothing threatening about wheeling in the light. I've had a few over the years that would be wheeling and when I turned the light on they would run around frantically but then go right back to the wheel. Sometimes they would just stop, look at me and what looked like a shrug and would run again.

As with any change in behaviour, keep an close eye on her for a few days including counting her kibble to make sure exactly how much she is eating and checking weights. A change in behaviour can indicate illness.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok great thanks for the input! My hedgehog has never given me a shrug but it sounds absolutely adorable!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts