Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... What would cause my hedgehogs ears to look a little ruffeled? There are tiny, little notches around the edges of her ears. The little notches appeared about 2 weeks ago. She is a young hedgehog about 6 months old. She seems well in every other way. Thank you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Is she in a cage by herself? or does she have a friend?
I know that sometimes other Hedgie's will chew on the other's ear's.
Atleast that's what I think is what happened to my Shelby's ear's.

·
Registered
508 Posts
its Probably from dry skin, in which case you can run human nipple cream on them. :)
my first hedgehog daisy had that once, and it went away after a few weeks of the cream.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bas came to me with ragged ears. I thought this was 'normal' until I saw pictures of other hedgies with smooth ears. I used the lanolin, the human nipple cream, and over time, parts of the hard junk came off :shock: . I'm glad I read in the threads that this occured :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Ok, I feel like I'm blind...But I, for the life of me, cannot find lanolin. Is there a certain brand? I just want to get it to moisturize the ears after bath time.

I've checked the baby stuff aisle, and see only zinc oxide.

I've checked normal people moisturizing aisles...Nothing.

I think I'm blind, but I've tried a few times already to try to find it. :lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I finally found it at Shoppers Drug Mart. I had to ask the pharmacist everywhere I looked. Some lotions have lanolin in it, but they also included a tonne of other stuff. The stuff I got is called Lansinoh brand lanolin, preservative free, in a purple (lilac?) bottle, 56g. I would never have found it without help. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Just wanted to say that I finally FINALLY FINALLY(did I mention finally? :lol: ) found lanolin at Walmart! :lol: *dances*

I think the people there looked at me funny :? cause it was on the display shelves infront of the pharmacy counter

·
Registered
414 Posts
Immortalia said:
I think the people there looked at me funny :? cause it was on the display shelves infront of the pharmacy counter
Don't worry about getting weird looks. I get that kind of thing all the time. I was buying baby nail clippers and baby food one day and the lady at the counter started talking to me about her baby and asking me how old mine was. I was like "Yeah this is for my hedgehog...I don't have any kids..." She was like "....oh." :lol: It's just something to laugh about and move on from. I figure it's no one's business but my own why I'm looking for nipple cream or whatever random baby product I happen to be buying that day.:lol:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Don't worry about getting weird looks. I get that kind of thing all the time. I was buying baby nail clippers and baby food one day and the lady at the counter started talking to me about her baby and asking me how old mine was. I was like "Yeah this is for my hedgehog...I don't have any kids..." She was like "....oh." It's just something to laugh about and move on from. I figure it's no one's business but my own why I'm looking for nipple cream or whatever random baby product I happen to be buying that day.
LOL, that is exactly what I think, too. :lol: I'm pretty sure most of us have found ourselves in the same boat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts