Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a plastic container and I need ideas about heating it! Please I have read the other threads and seen things about the ceramic heat emitters and heating pads? snuggle safe? I don't know? Thanks with lots of LOVE .. Courtney (owner) and Rollitheanne (hedgie)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Heating disks like Snuggle Safe are only good for backup snuggling heat, from what I have learned on here. Since they do not heat the air, they are only warm when laying on them, they shouldn't be the primary heat source. The hedgie can catch a chill when he leaves the disk to run his wheel, eat, play, etc. if the rest of the area is not warmed.

Ceramic heaters appear to be the favored choice, or keeping the entire area/house warm.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So I guess that means you bought your little Rolli afterall! :)

I don't keep my baby in a bin anymore but when I first brought her home I had her in a plastic bin from the breeder. I used a clamp lamp and cermaic heat emitter and I was able to keep her temps nice and even. Just be sure to get a decent thermometer and you'll be just fine. Depending on the size of your bin, you could probably get away with a 100 watt bulb or 60 watt if it's a smaller sized tub). I'm thinking of getting a snugglesafe disc for Muffey for Christmas though because I figure it couldn't hurt with the approaching winter weather. I want one for myself!! hee hee :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oh, just wanted to add~ You may end up having to try more than one wattage (I'm currently going through this now since changing her to a cage) to figure out what's best for your bin. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts