Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I just want to say hello *waves*. I have been pouring over this entire website pretty much daily for almost a month now and without even actually speaking to anyone you have all been SO helpful. I was pleasantly surprised to see the recent post asking about adopting an older hedgie, because that is exactly where I am. I have had Miss Harriet for about two weeks now and am already absolutely in love with her :) She is around 4 years old. I had no hesitation due to her age or anything as I am just to much of an animal lover and rescuer to care......
The most important thing to me is making what time she has left the best no matter how much or little time that may be. She came with what was left of her litter and food, her cage, food and water bowls, bottle, wheel, and house. Since then I have got the light and heat setup going. I am not sure that it was done for her before, but I am determined to do everything correct..... I also just put in the last of the litter and once it is gone I am going to switch her to fleece and plan on changing her to a better food. I have alot of confidence, but at the same time I have some questions I haven't really been able to find on here I am hoping you guys can answer ppppwwweeeaasssseee :D

1. As I said I plan on switching her to fleece for her bedding as I know many of you use. Do you just lay in a piece of fleece or do you double layer it or put some kind of material in the middle like a cotton or padding? And do you do anything particular to help hod it down?

2. I have seen aa few pictures of the flying saucers wheels and would like to switch her to one of those. Do I need the biggest one or like a medium that is 6 1/2 inches?

3.I have also seen many of you use the igloos for houses. I wanted to switch her to that because her current house is wood and kind of dirty. However, the medium is to small and what I find as a large is like the size for a rabbit! Did you find yours somewhere other then petco or petsmart in the correct size?

4. I have been very careful and gentle about handling her, wanting to give her a chance to get to know me and just walk around and explore. However, it never seems to fail that the minute I get her out she poops all over:p I still can't get over that much coming outta something so little. But I was curious if anyone else has experienced this with their hedgie's and how you manuevered around it? She will be up and about for a long time so I think surely she has pottied, yet she still starts pooping almost immediately after I start holding her and I really don't want that everytime I holds her.

5. Last question for the moment,,,I think:p I see all your pictures of your hedgies out and about playing. Obviously they sleep during the day and do not like being kept up, but most of us are generally asleep at night not to mention having them out at night means exposing them to light when it is supposed to be dark. What do you think is the lesser fo the two evils? Waking your hedgie up during the day or having them out at night, but having to expose them to light so you can see them?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Welcome to HHC, I love you already. <3 I always approve of people rescuing animals, especially when they've done their research and obviously know what they're doing, the way you do.

The only question I can really answer is number five. Some hedgehogs actually can adjust to their human's sleep schedule, my Quillamina has, and she doesn't seem to mind. (Which is good, because I have fairly important reasons for her needing to be awake in the day sometimes.) You want to ease them into it, though, don't start getting them up at noon, for example. A little earlier every few days is probably the best way to go, but if she doesn't adjust to it, then it's probably best to leave it be and have her out in the evenings, around seven or eight PM onward. This is all from my personal experience, I may be wrong, so wait until someone else comes along to confirm or deny what I've said. Most of the people here are more experienced with hedgepigs than I am, I imagine.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
1. All the ways you mentioned are ok. I use a few small landscaping blocks to hold them down.

2.You would need the large flying saucer.

3.http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... 6#prodTab1

4.When you want to take her out put her in her litter box so she can do her duty 1st :lol:

5.It's ok to wake them up once during the day for 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for your comments so far:)

Sela: I have always loved animals and since I have been old enough to do it on my own have been rescuing. Added to Harriet I currently have a 3 legged black lab who was put in the shelter by his "family" after he got hit by a car and lost his leg and a daschund that was found a stray born with only one eye. I am doing my very best to learn...it helps a little I guwaa that Harriet is a more...experienced hedgie :p

Lary: Thanks for all your responses. However I do not think she was ever litter trained...just allowed to go in her cage. I would like her to b but I dont want to push her to much or make to many changesgiven her age.....Do u think taking her out and just putting her in any other thing until she potties before I handle her might work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey i am the person that made that post about the older hedge hog. Well yesterday was day 3 of leaving her alone, so i took her out looked her over real real good. Her back toenails where almost an inch long!! So after cutting the toenails, i just let her do what she wanted and she just found the space between my back and the chair and sat there for a minute or 2, then when i picked her up there was 2 giant poops and she also peed on me :lol: .

So I'm kind-of in the same situation as you almost exactly except my girl is 5 years old. She have never balled up on my, she only will twitch sometimes when i go to pick her up. Plus my girl was definitely not kept on fleece, but right when i got her, i put her on the fleece and she hasn't pooped on it too much, but she is eating well and just started using her wheel last night. This is my first hedgehog also and she is sooooo cute!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steveboos said:
took her out looked her over real real good. Her back toenails where almost an inch long!!.........when i picked her up there was 2 giant poops and she also peed on me lol.........She have never balled up on my, she only will twitch sometimes when i go to pick her up. Plus my girl was definitely not kept on fleece, but right when i got her, i put her on the fleece and she hasn't pooped on it too much, but she is eating well and just started using her wheel last night. This is my first hedgehog also and she is sooooo cute!
I did the look over after a couple of days as well her back nails really need cut and I am planning on doing that tnight. I was going to go ahead but given my nervousness about it I thought I would wait until I could have some help from a friend. I have only been pooped on and around thank goodness they have pebbly poop :p However she peed all on my roommate. She was just sitting on their stomach because they are kind of afraid of her and when I lifted Harriet up there wasa huge wet spot! She has not balled up on me either unless I hold her in my hands kinda of cupped...I think it is just natural for her to do it then. She will pop and hiss at me sometimes when I first go to pick her up but calms down after she figures out what is going on. I havent changed to the fleece just yet...I am hoping to get it cut to size and all this weekend and switch her to it next week. I think she will like it much more for pushing things around and making her feel like she has more room.I have heard Harriet in her wheel andeen the evidence she had been in it, but I was so excited last night because I finally saw her running it and man was she going! I heard her running in it for a long time and was happy to get to see her in it. She is also my first hedgie and is absolutely adorable. I plan on posting some pics in the next day or two...

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've found that my little guy will potty if I set up a small playpen for him on top of a pillowcase or receiving blanket and let him do his think for a few minutes before we play together. I used to get peed on quite a bit till I figured this trick out. ^_^

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have been trying the putting her in a small container with some paper towels before I start really playing with her or letting her be out and it seems to be working..at least helping so far.

Miss Harriet got her first vet appointment today and thankfully it went really well!! :mrgreen: I got very lucky to have a clinic fairly close with two vets who specialize in exotics. Due to her age and someone else having her for so long I wanted to get her checked out and everything was great. She is a good weight for her size, teeth are in good shape with nothing to be worried about inwardly or outwardly as they did a potty test for parasites too. Said despite her popping and hissing she is overall pretty outgoing for and friendly for a hedgie......I know it may not have been neseccary, but being my first hedgie and all I just wanted to have an opion at least once from expert eyes:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts