Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I read the thread on about someone having a mouse problem, well ive got a rat problem that isn't going away!

I live in an open plan living room/kitchen and they are getting into the kitchen. The pest control has been dealing with the problem for over a week now but we don't seem to be getting anywhere and im worried about Henry as his cage is in the living room!

He's been moved across the road or now, with a friend for a week, coming back to stay in a smaller cage im my bedroom (where i believe the rats aren't getting) for the weekend, then maybe back to my friends for the bigger cage. He's doesn't like my room at night and i have to use a smaller cage im my room. I think its effecting him a little but how long before all this moving about and being unsettled really effects him?

I have nowhere else to keep him long term other than the living room and am now worried this could take a while which means henry's going to be moved about or disturbed by my sleeping at night. Any advice PLEASE?!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Go to the hardware store and get either some hardware cloth or metal screen. Hardware cloth has 1/4" openings. Wrap the entire cage with the screening or hardware cloth so there is no chance the rat can get in his cage. Also, keep the cage on a table or something that the rats won't be able to climb up to and hopefully not be able to even be near his cage. Rats would freak me out far more than mice.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Go buy a rat snap trap, peanut butter and Cheeze Doodles. Set the trap with a small dollop of peanut butter and a cheese doodle on top. Set the trap along the wall (rats run hugging the wall and use the same routes all the time).

Use rubber gloves to dispose of the dead rat.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah thanks for the advice. Ill defo try wrapp :) ing his cage, great idea. He already sits normally on a coffee table but i can put him on kitchen table with metal legs, would they be able to get up that?

I've not got traps down but i have got experts in who are dealing with the problem as humanly and quickly as possible, but it still takes time to make sure they are all dead (not humane i know but has got to be done)!

I wish it was a mouse, they don't bother me, but rats, aarrgg! I haven't slept properly since i found out!

Thanks again guys xx :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts