Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cross posting. This one is further off, but its a 2 day show and there is plenty of time to plan for it...

-----
----
Rocky Mountain Hedgehog Show

OCTOBER 13-17, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Doubletree Hotel
1-800-236-1592
ask for: Colorado Hedge Hog Society Room Block Group Code CHH

http://www.rockymountainhedgehogshow.org

·
Registered
754 Posts
No, the hedgehog shows are not on TV. You have to attend, they are a lot of fun. I will not be attending this year. :(

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hedgiepets said:
No, the hedgehog shows are not on TV. You have to attend, they are a lot of fun. I will not be attending this year. :(
Darn. Too bad there are no hedgehog shows near my area, I wish there were :| I would go :)

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So... Who is going to the show? I know the people who are hosting the show, and I know it will be a good event.

Anyone from Michigan heading that way?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I wish I could! Class and work have claimed my life until December 13th, and I couldn't afford to come anyway... :( Still hoping to get to a hedgehog show SOMEday!

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick reminder, this show is coming up in less than 2 weeks! Anyone from here going? For anyone who is going, I hear they had some great items donated to the auction. They also had another speaker added:

"New Speaker Added - Dr. Priscilla Dressen will be speaking on Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome accompanied by Teresa Johnson on caring for WHS hedgies Saturday morning. **CORRECTION - This talk will be on Sunday Morning before judging competitions."

·
Registered
666 Posts
That reminds me I totally forgot to send in my memorial, probably too late now ill have too check. I was gonna show jacob, but took him on a quick test run to walmart the other day to see how he did in a crowd and it really stressed him bad so now I'm not so sure, but I still hope to go to the show. I know my breeder will be judging and have some of her babies there.

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My advice, try him on the show table anyway. I've seen hedgehogs that were not so agreeable with being in public do fine on the table, and those that were a sweet and normally friendly be little quill balls.

Send in your memorial, the last I talked to one of the organizers they were still putting stuff together. I'd do it soon though!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks kalandra ill work on it right now and try to get it in today and heck who knows I may just bring both jacob and jeremiah just to see how they do worse that can happen is they end up being grumpy, but I bet they won't be the only grumpy ones there lol. And jeremiah actually suprised me the other day at the vet being very outgoing and social during the day until the cat climbed in his travel carrier with him and made him mad lol. Point is maybe you are right and they will suprise me. After all jacob is one of jeannes babies and we all know she produces show quality babies so he can't do too bad lol. ;)

·
Registered
666 Posts
maybe if i bring lots of treats for positive reinforcement it will help keep their stress levels down? this will be a first for me as well, i've never taken any of my hedgies to a show or even been to a show. it should be a good time. what kind of cage setups is everyone using for show days?

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The big thing to remember is if you stress, your hedgehog will stress. Be calm and just watch what others are doing. For the show room I use my travel carrier. I give them fleece liners on the bottom and their snuggle bag.

Start waking your hedgehog up and touching him now. Take your hands and approach his face. If he acts defensive, he will do that when a judge does the same. Getting him used to it now will help when he is on the table.

Oh and don't be shy at the show. You may feel out of place at first because many old friends will be chatting together. Go up to people and introduce yourself. I wish I could attend this year, but it wasn't in the stars for the year, else I would say look for me. I usually walk up to new people and try to pull them into the group.

They really are awesome events. Usually there are lots of cool items to buy, lots of friends to chat with, and lots of awesome hedgehogs around. You'll see a lot of different ways people do things too.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Is there a hedgie show type site that explains it all? I'd love to learn more about it. I imagine showing hedgies would be somewhat like showing Alaskan Malamutes lol ( Hedgehogs resemble the breed greatly in stubborness, ability to embarass, live with you not for you and sick humor hahaha) likely why I was attracted to hedgies :mrgreen:

I've spent a great deal of time around purebred dogs / shows although never getting directly involved as I've always been there in a rescue aspect.

Do hedgies have like a "standard" and all that? Obedience trials? lol rally-o? ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts