Hedgehog Central banner

Rocko has NEVER acted like this before..?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  strawberryfields 
#1 ·
Ever since the first day we brought Rocko home, he has been the sweetest hedgehog. I've never seen him roll completely into a ball, not even the very first day. He huffs a little when we first go to pick him up, but then he relaxes and lets us pick him up with his quills down and everything.
Today, I woke up and went to say good morning to him, and he freaked out! He balled up and huffed and popped and hissed at me like nobody's business. Even after I put him back down, he stayed balled up and was hissing for quite some time. I offered him some meal worms to make him feel better, and he wouldn't eat them. Now he has finally unballed and is exploring around me, but still won't eat the meal worms, which he normally goes crazy for. He's also walking around with his quills like half up.
This is really unlike him. Rocko is a complete sweetheart. We haven't changed anything that would stress him out. Hedgedaddy did take him on a trip to visit some family. He got home about two days ago, but we have taken him on trips before and he was fine. I just don't understand.

#3 ·
Anything else out of the ordinary? Change in diet, drinking water, poop, or pee? Change in wheeling/activity level? Change in temperature? Lighting? Routine? Any bug bites you can see? Nails grown too long? Different scents in the air? Quill loss? Dry skin? Other animals/small children in the house that could disturb him? Anything that disturbed his beauty sleep during the day? Change in his weight?

Every so often my snugglebug does have some diva moments where she's rather out of sorts. Usually, I can track it down to a change in her routine. But not always... there have been a few occasions where I have a huffy Gattling pooper with no explanation. She usually comes around by the next day and, since there don't appear to be any ill effects, I just chalk it up as an unexplained diva moment.

But check out all potential sources of hedgie frustration and keep an eye on your little one's weight, appearance, activity levels, and food intake - those will be other good signs to help you figure out if he's just had a moment, or if there's something bigger afoot.

#4 ·
He is about 12 weeks old, so I think the culprit may be the beginning of his final quilling. He ate a normal amount of food last night, so I'm going to watch him for the rest of tonight and tomorrow. Everything else seems normal, and I handled him a few minutes ago. He was still grumpy but didn't ball up, just huffed a lot and looked angrily at me. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.