Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was picking my hedgehog out of her enclosure to snuggle her, and I have no idea how it happened but her nail ripped. I didn't see it happen, I just noticed blood on her and quickly inspected. The nail is still attached but it looks partly detached at the base. It was bleeding quite a bit but it has since stopped (I applied pressure and used cornstarch as a styptic just in case). She can walk on it, had her quills down after and gladly ate all of the treats I gave her and seemed pretty normal after it was cleaned up. Because its still attached, should she go to the vet to have it removed? I'm not worried about infection as of right now (although I will be putting regular polysporin on it later when its more scabbed over), but I am worried she'll break it further and cause more bleeding. Or is it better to just leave it and let it grow out?

She is on a fleece blanket liner and I'm going to remove her wheel for the next few days. I'm really torn up about this, the only thing I can think of is when I picked her up she grabbed onto the liner and I just didn't notice. :(

1 - 1 of 1 Posts