Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
There are a lot of misconceptions about meat meal. It's basically just a dehydrated protein source (chicken, lamb, beef, etc...) that is then pulverized into a fine powder. This makes it much easier to measure and calculate the finished protein ratio. Meat meal is completely different from meat by-products which incorporate organs, bones, and cartilage into the protein mix. There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeding your pet a meat meal. I would shy away from foods that offer meat by-product meals as their primary protein source, however. While not generally dangerous it is considered by most to be primarily a filler and a lower quality protein source and may not be the absolutely best food for your pet. It won't directly harm them, but it's not that great for them in the long run.

Also, there is a difference between Purina and Purina ONE. Purina is a cheaper cat food that has animal by-products while Purina ONE uses a meat meal as its protein source. It's more expensive but also more nutritional.

There also isn't a need to buy "all natural" or "organic". Companies love to toss around the term all natural as if it means the product is somehow safer and inherently better for your pet. Poison ivy is "all natural" but I would never let my pets eat it. If price is an issue and you find yourself having to choose between two quality foods don't let an "all natural", "organic", or "chemical free" advertisement persuade you into paying more for basically the same thing. After all, everything on this lovely green planet is made up of chemicals.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts