Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been looking into getting a thermostat for my CHEs. (Currently, I have a thermometer that I keep in there and check every couple hours, since I'm homeschooled and home all day... :grin:)
The Zilla Thermostat 1000watt was my first choice, since I've heard good things about it on here. But I was reading the reviews on Amazon, and quite a few people got one that stopped working correctly after a couple weeks.
I was wondering if something like this would work?
Amazon.com : Zoo Med ReptiTemp Rheostat : Pet Habitat Decor : Pet Supplies
I don't see why it wouldn't, but nobody seems to recommend it. It's half the price of the Zilla Thermostat 1000watt and it has better reviews.
(I understand that I would need to keep using my thermometer to get the exact right temperature at first, since the rheostat apparently doesn't have a thermometer in it.)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I use rheostats on a few of my less sensitive reptiles. The major difference between them and thermostats is that they cannot adjust for external temperature fluctuations. If your hedgie's room is always say 70° and never changes, a rheostat would work to make sure your che is heating the cage to 75°, for example. However, if you live in an old house in Canada like I do, the temperature fluctuations in the rooms means you'll have to keep a very close eye on the cage temperature and adjust the rheostat several times a day, which is a real pain.
Using the rheostats I get a 4°F temperature fluctuation in my milksnake and kingsnake cages in a room heated with a space heater that shuts off at 70° and on at 68°. That's fine for them, but since hedgehogs are hypersensitive to temp changes and can go into hibernation, I wouldn't recommend using a rheostat with them unless you know the temperature in the room and the cage is always extremely stable.

I hope that helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts