Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum - so first of all hi!

I've had my hedgehog for about 3 months now. I adopted her at 15 weeks old from someone. She is an APH.

So far, she is very healthy and normal, but she has attempted to hibernate recently. It was scary for me, and I felt very guilty - however this is all about learning and I am trying my best. I've kept an eye on her since she attempted to hibernate and she appears to be very healthy and happy. I believe she hibernated as the temp up here dropped suddenly and my heating did not kick in soon enough for her. I have changed the setting on my central heating now.

I live in Scotland, so the temperature is starting to drop a lot more up here - I've bought her a 60watt heat lamp which seems to be working. It sits above her wheel, and I have a snuggle safe which I heat in the morning for her before I head out for the day. I'm very worried about her getting too cold again, my central heating is on a timer so comes on in the morning and at night. At night the flat is very very warm and when it goes off I cover half the cage (not over the lamp in case of fire) and the heat from the lamp seems to be retained.

I've been thinking of ways I could try and retain this heat better. She is in a rabbit/guinea pig cage rather than a vivarium. I thought about those plastic table cloth covers, as I remember in the summer in Australia (where I'm from) our legs used to be boiling under those when we were outdoors! I would cut a hole in the middle where the lamp sits so there is no direct contact to cause fires or melt the plastic.

Does this sound ok? So far she is warm enough, but I would like to not have to be worrying about her all the time when I am out of the house - especially that it's only going to get colder. I have read a lot about ways to heat the cage, but this is just one idea I had and wondered if it sounded ok. Perhaps there is a better material I could use to sew something together! My Mum used to sew covers for our Budgies cage so it's really got me thinking.

Eilidh

·
Registered
10 Posts
How big is the cage? 60w does not sound like it would be enough. Many people recommend around 100w for 'average' sized cages.

You could try an oil radiator or fan heater, but these can be expensive to run. They should also have a digital thermostat, the older analog style ones won't give a steady temperature.

To retain some heat, you can use fleece / linen for the base of the cage, and make sure all windows and door cracks are covered.

What temperature is the cage at?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cage is about 100x50cm I believe. I don't know exactly, and I'm not home to measure it. It is definitely big enough for her though.

The 60watt lamp seems to be working. Her cage is always at 20 degrees even at night when the heating goes off. I cover the outside edges of the cage with a blanket which retains the heat. I have been testing the table cloth cover, it works but is only needed if it's minus temperatures outside, I do not cover the whole cage over though as this is dangerous.

Things are working out fine and she has not tried to hibernate again. She is eating and running on her wheel as per usual. She's been acting a lot more friendly recently too so I think she's reaching adulthood. I have less worry for her when I'm out of the house now, but I never leave her on her own for too long. I will post pictures eventually :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again,

Thanks for he concern, I should have been more specific as the temperature goes between 20 and 25 all the time. I do not believe she is way too cold as I say she is very happy and acting as a hedgehog should do from all my research on the matter. I would not want to up the temperate as I did this recently and she became far too hot, I had to re hydrate her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts