Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be getting a hedgehog soon, and I was debating between getting a baby and rescuing one. This is my first time to have a hedgehog, and I heard that for first time owners it's better to get a baby. I was thinking of getting a rescue since I'll most likely have the hedgie through some of college, and it would be more convenient to get a rescue, plus it would give it a good home. But, If it's better to get a baby hedgie for a first time owner, I think I probably could work out a way to keep it through college. Is it better for me to get a baby or a rescue? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would personally say it's probably better to get a baby. Many rescues come with "issues" and need a lot of time and patience to work with. They may have health issues and social issues that must be dealt with by an experienced hedgie owner.

Babies, still take a lot of time and may have health issues, but it's far less likely. You also get to help devleop their personalities out a bit more.

Neither choice is easy because Hedgies have to have socializing and play time. Please consider that on average they live 7 years. If you are going away for college, will your parents be willing to take care of any hedgehog you may have. When you are in college taking care of an animal is even harder and if you are living on campus most do not allow any pets.

·
Registered
764 Posts
mkmanuel said:
I would personally say it's probably better to get a baby. Many rescues come with "issues" and need a lot of time and patience to work with. They may have health issues and social issues that must be dealt with by an experienced hedgie owner.

Babies, still take a lot of time and may have health issues, but it's far less likely. You also get to help devleop their personalities out a bit more.

Neither choice is easy because Hedgies have to have socializing and play time. Please consider that on average they live 7 years. If you are going away for college, will your parents be willing to take care of any hedgehog you may have. When you are in college taking care of an animal is even harder and if you are living on campus most do not allow any pets.
Good advice in here. I have both: a baby (well used to be!) and a rescue. I was quite lucky with my rescue, he doesn't have problem. But sometime they can have some issues or you might get a pregnant girl: not what you want as a first time hedgehog owner. I think having a baby first is better (even thaugh a baby can be full of surprise)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a rescue. Very different from everyone's baby experiences I can tell you that. I didn't get to see him grow, or go through quilling. But I also didn't have to worry about how much he was growing or if he had mites along with his quilling. He's had no health issues so far (but health issues with rescues or babies are very expensive and can happen with either). He's come around a bit but he's still a grumpus (we've had him for just over 1 year). I'm so jealous of people who can pet their babies and snuggle and the baby's quills are flat most of the time. I love Quigley he's got personality and spunk but the experience has been very different than it might have been with a baby. The actual bonding process is the same with an adult as with a baby it just might take longer with an adult. Ultimately it's up to you.

EDIT
Just wanted to add that personalities can change after quilling so if you get an adult there probably won't be an unexpected personality change like there might be with a baby. I like to think of it as "he can only improve" whereas a baby might become really grumpy after quilling an already grumpy adult will only change for the better over time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Whether you get a baby or a rescue, there is no way to guarantee you will get a friendly, social hedgehog. Either one can end up friendly and social. The 2 hedgehogs we got as babies-- Zeus (he was between 2 and 3 months old), and Artemis (she was almost 4 months old)--are probably the least cuddly out of all of the hedgehogs we have! They both hate being petted, and Artemis wants to run around and jump off of things all the time.

Our big sweetheart is Aries (the sick one with gum disease) who was a year old when we got him and had lived in a pet store in a tiny aquarium his whole life. No one wanted him because he was so grumpy! He hated everything when we brought him home, and we actually meant to name him "Ares" like the Greek god of war! His attitude changed with some love and attention and lots of mealworms, of course. He's so sweet and nice--this is the kind of hedgehog you want!

You need to be prepared to love whatever kind of hedgehog you get. Personality depends more on the hedgehog, not their age when you get them. I'm so glad I have rescued hedgehogs because they needed a home to be loved and cared for. They might not be wee hedgie babies anymore, but they are MY babies now!

·
Registered
902 Posts
We all know how I feel, right? I'm the one that suggested rescue, hahahahaA!!

Riley wasn't exactly a rescue, he was a retired breeder. But he was still "used" instead of "new" and I absolutely love him. He was guessed at 2 years old, he had already been well socialized, and I mean he is an absolute love-bug.

Whyte was a baby but not as young as I think you normally get from a breeder as he was already done with the first quillings. I like the fact that he SHOULD be around longer than Riley, but not the fact that I'm responsible for socializing him and am apparently doing a terrible job, ha!!

Like two siblings, I can't help comparing them. From here on out, I will be rescuing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.