Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I adopted a Hedgie through the SPCA. He was actually being fostered by an animal behavorist. His name is Harvey, and so far he has been a little shy. They weren't sure how old he was, because he had been abandoned in an apartment by his previous owenrs for about 3 weeks (I get so sad thinking about the poor little guy). I guess the landlord did'nt know about the owner moving out and said that they had to be in there for a while.

At first Harvey's foster mom said it took him about 20 mins to come out of his ball... but after a month he has really progressed. Now it only takes him about 1 min or so to come out and sniff around... he is still pretty shy though (hisses and puffs.. wont really let me stroke him).

I have left him in his cage to adjust and don't want to handle him to much for a few days. But my question is .. do you think that if I continue handling and working with him he could continue to improve? And do you have any tips as to how to better socialize him.

Thanks
Cathryn

·
Registered
395 Posts
if he has already started to show progress there is a good chance that he will continue to progress the more you attempt to socialize him.
There is also the chance that he won't get any better then he is right now.

Either way it will take time to tell. Start by only handling him for a few minutes to start, and as soon as he unballs giving him a treat always helps. Put a shirt that you have worn in his hidey spot and it will help him get used to your smell.

Every day start handling him a little more and once you find out if he is a cuddler or an explorer you can bond with him either by letting him fall asleep on you or sitting on the floor while he runs around you.

I wish you the best of luck with the little guy and hope that he warms up to you.
(and when he does warm up, post some pictures imo)

Good Luck,
Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts