Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently adopted a hedgehog. He is only three months old, but he was a rescue. I want to give him lots of love and show him a good life, but I don't know where to start. He is very skiddish, and whenever he sees me he rolls up into a ball, and starts breathing really heavily. I was wondering if there were any tricks you guys had to get him to like humans more. I bought mealworms and some fruit that the shelter said he liked, but he never sees me giving it to him since he's always in a ball. What can I do thank you.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Get yourself a fleece blanket. Get comfortable on the couch. Put fleece blanket in your lap. Put hedgehog on fleece blanket. Fold it over him. Wait. That's basically it. He's terrified right now, so a little bit of non interaction is what he needs. This tactic lets him get used to your smell, your sounds, and after a bit he'll decide that you're not going to eat him...at least not right this minute so he should unball and at the very least make himself more comfortable. Do this every single day for a minimum of 30 minutes, but longer is always better. It's going to take a while, but he'll come around.

·
Registered
170 Posts
-Always remember patients is a virtue

I had my guy out for floor time and always let him come to me. gradually as he builds confidence you can ''se what he will let you get away with'' for contact. Make sure there are no cords, wires or anything else he can get hurt or into trouble with. For floor time I gave my guy a toilet paper tube and ''rescue'' him if he wanted it off or couldn't navigate a corner. I'd gently scoop my hands under him and reposition him in corners. This was huge for the bonding process for him. He became less afraid after every joyous session.

- The tee shirt trick.

Wear a tee shirt with no loose threads and let him bed down in it too sleep. You want put it right in his home. Even though he's probably sleeping you can still bond with him. You can read a book or watch a movie even.

* As a side note: You should read all the stickies here on heating and diet and nutrition ☺

1 - 3 of 3 Posts