Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few weeks, my tiny friend has woken up between 6pm-7:30pm (broad daylight), spent about a minute audibly scratching at his bedding (fleece or cotton, depending if he's burrowed under the primary liner), then goes back to sleep until his typical 9:30-10:30 wakeup. The scratching is long, slow strokes, front paws only, like he's on pace to dig his way to the apartment downstairs and doesn't want to wear himself out.

It isn't mites (he isn't scratching at himself).
His nails do not appear to be overly-long (we clip a few nails a night, so get to his front paws every-other week).
He runs like a maniac (typically 6km in 4 hours each night).
No signs of hibernation.
The fabric is strong: no lint balls, no loose threads, no dangers to tiny toes (I check each night)
Anything else I should be concerned about/check for?

I haven't been concerned by it, and actually vaguely appreciate that it cleans under his front nails and might even file them a bit, but I do find it very odd behaviour.

Anyone else have a hedgehog with insomnia?

·
Registered
179 Posts
How bright is it in his cage? One of mine hates it if he cant burrow his head into somewhere very dark. He does the exact same thing, long scratching strokes in his bed if the room is too bright for his liking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts