Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting because I am running out of time and just found out the the hedgehog my ex-roommate left behind in South Korea is not allowed in the USA. I am looking for a safe suggestion to find her a new home. Any advice would be appreciated. I have asked my coworkers and students, but none would like to take her. I feel really bad that my roommate has done this so I want to be sure she goes to someone who will care for her and make sure she is safe and well cared for. I know that she is not my personal pet, but I have inherit her by default due to the carelessness of my ex-roommate, and because I am an animal lover, I want to be sure she will be safe and have a happy life. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Again, I have inherited her by default since I am still in South Korea & my ex-roommate has already gone back home, but the clock is ticking and her safety and happiness is a priority for me at this point. Thank you in advance for only supplying helpful advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm afraid you can't take them with you. Only hedgehogs coming from countries that have not been infected with foot and mouth disease are allowed to enter the US (this is the reason the USDA stopped wild caught imports from Africa).

Korea is not on the list of regions that have been declared free of FMD.

USDA APHIS | Pet Travel - Bringing Pet Hedgehogs or Tenrecs into the United States

You can try to call to see if anything has changed, but I'm afraid they won't be allowed into the US.
Oh shoot. I recommend finding a neighborhood facebook page or maybe there is a breeder near you that can help with more info?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been checking for shelters in SK, but to no avail. Also the school I work in, does not have a science department that will take in the hedgie as a class pet. I have asked students and parents but so far no luck. The pet store will not take her back, so I am still looking. I have reached out to the colleges at this point to see if any of those students may be interested. Thank you in advance for only supplying helpful advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts