Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 9 week old hedgehog and I hav offered him freeze dried meal worms, live meal worms, baby food, apple, strawberry, rasberry, blueberry and cooked chicken and he wont try any of them and doesn't eat them when left in his bowl over night. I haven't found anything he likes so far apart from his cat food which he does eat.

Any suggestions for other thing he might like and should I try again when he is older or will he probably never like them? Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
Please slow down on offering new foods. Babies have sensitive tummies and the amount of new foods you've offered could cause serious GI upset if he'd eaten them all.

No more than two new foods a week. Offer one food three nights in a row. If he doesn't eat it, stop offering it. After you've exhausted all your choices, start over on the foods that he rejected, again only offering one new food at a time. Sometimes it takes a few tries for a hedgehog to even taste what you're offering.

Some hedgehogs never accept any foods other than kibbles. As long as you're feeding a healthy blend of kibbles, the hedgehog should get everything he needs nutritionally.

·
Registered
33 Posts
HedgeMom said:
Some hedgehogs never accept any foods other than kibbles. As long as you're feeding a healthy blend of kibbles, the hedgehog should get everything he needs nutritionally.
My first little guy never would eat anything but kibble. I tried several different things over the course of his life and never had any success!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with a very picky hedgie...I can only get Paco to eat Solid Gold Cat food, nothing else. He use to eat a bit of Fromm's but I had a sour smell coming from the bags so I did not continue with that food...in a couple weeks, I will once again try to add another food to his mix, but I am not holding out any hope on him accepting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HedgeMom said:
Please slow down on offering new foods. Babies have sensitive tummies and the amount of new foods you've offered could cause serious GI upset if he'd eaten them all.

No more than two new foods a week. Offer one food three nights in a row. If he doesn't eat it, stop offering it. After you've exhausted all your choices, start over on the foods that he rejected, again only offering one new food at a time. Sometimes it takes a few tries for a hedgehog to even taste what you're offering.

Don't worry I wouldn't have kept offering him different foods if he had eaten any of them he didn't even take a bite or lick of any of them so his stomach is fine I just want to find one treat he likes. I know he may never like more than kibble but I still think it would be nice for him to have treats and it would help bonding for him to have treats when he's out with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.