hello! recently my hedgies cage has been smelling really bad :sad: i was his cage and his sheets every week but the smell comes back the next day. I have no time during the week to clean it. Any suggestions on how to keep the odor down?
Got a bunch of questions to throw at you, but the answers can help narrow down a cause & give better solutions.
- What kind of bedding are you using?
- If fabric, how are you washing it?
- Do you clean his wheel daily?
- Have you introduced any new foods to your hedgehog recently?
- How big is the cage?
- And lastly, does it seem like it's the same smell & just not going away? Or does it seem like his poop and/or urine actually smell stronger? Sometimes that can indicate a health problem, which is why I ask.
Wheels need to be cleaned every day, they are covered in poop and pee and are going to smell unless they are cleaned. It only takes a few minutes and will make the world of difference. If you add vinegar to the rinse water when you wash the liners it will remove and built up smell too.