Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have been getting to the point of frustration recently. I can't seem to figure out what I am seeing in Nellie's wheel in the mornings.

A little background - Nellie is a 10 month old female, I've had her for 8 months. Not too long ago I started noticing what looked like a reddish/brownish crystally looking gunk in her wheel when I would check on her in the mornings. I took her to a local vet and he did not do any tests, only looked at pictures (which is why I asked about good Kansas City vets in a separate post). He put her on Baytril for a UTI. Now I can't really say if it helped or not because I have NEVER SEEN HER PEE BLOOD or anything of the sort!! I let her go to the bathroom in the sink whenever I get her out, and each time her urine looks completely yellow. But most nights this weird gunk is somehow making its way onto her wheel. (I should also add that I haven't been able to find any cuts or injuries on her body)

Has anyone had an experience like this?? Or any ideas??? Since she is a female and after reading up on a lot of these forums I assumed it was a urinary or uterine issue and hence took her to the vet...but like I said, I have never seen red urine first hand. Her behavior hasn't changed either. I am attaching pictures of her urine in the sink as well as the gunk on her wheel.

Thanks everyone!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I'm wondering if it's urine that got mixed enough with some poop to give it that color... But I haven't seen anything like that before to my memory, so I'm not positive.

(Also, just so you know, I deleted the other thread underneath the "Health" forum - you only need to post things once, in whichever appropriate area. :))

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked her feet? Perhaps the ridges on the wheel are hurting her feet when she runs? What kind of bedding or litter do you use?
ScoopzOFRolo - I have checked her feet and haven't been able to find any visible injuries. However, I recently bought and am awaiting the arrival of a Carolina Storm Wheel in case it is her feet as well as to better see the color of her *bodily fluids* since her current wheel is dark purple. I use fleece bedding, no litter just paper towels under her wheel as that is the only place she does her business.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.