Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to get our heat set-ups today when I had a thought. If my boys don't run on their wheels when lights are on.. they probably won't run when the heat emitter goes on either. And if the heat emitter goes on in the middle of the night, I'll have 3 very crabby piggies.

I've seen red light heat emitters floating around cyberspace and have read that they're just as effective. Would this be a better choice of bulb? I suppose I'm asking if there have been any (negative) experiences with red-light heat emitters. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Ceramic heat emitters produce heat only, no light what so ever. When they are on, in the dark, you see nothing.

·
Registered
912 Posts
sebian said:
I suppose I'm asking if there have been any (negative) experiences with red-light heat emitters.
Seems that, even if they weren't bothered by red light (and I've read some are; some aren't), YOU would have to deal with the appearance. Your hedgies might begin to look like quilled fast food under heating lamps.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nancy said:
Ceramic heat emitters produce heat only, no light what so ever.
:shock: I had no clue! They should make them stop looking like light bulbs! :lol: It all makes a LOT more sense now haha. D'uh!

smhufflepuff said:
Seems that, even if they weren't bothered by red light (and I've read some are; some aren't), YOU would have to deal with the appearance. Your hedgies might begin to look like quilled fast food under heating lamps.
mmmmmmmm hedgie burgers lol. They're tucked away in their own little room, so it's not all that big of a deal what the light is. But I'm not going to get them if the heat emitter has no light anyway lol

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I like ceramic heat emitters, and I had one for a while til it broke. Now I just use a space heater... I've tried infrared lights before but Inky would not come out while it was on.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is it safe to use one of those UV reptile lights, for during the day? do they give off any heat? My room is pretty warm as it is but I would like him to have a little more light during the day, since it gets dark so early now that it's winter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah my guys hated the red light I had to buy floor heaters. Since I am in a basment suite I use a day glo bulb from petland. It's a few feet away clamped to my regular cealing light and on a timer. Seems to be working and there happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts