Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Today I discovered a red bump near/in Macy's eye. [Image below] Being a first-time hedgehog owner, I do not have a lot of experience with health issues, although I have done a lot of research before adopting her. (I have had her 2 years this summer) Macy has an appointment tonight at 7:30 pm with an exotic vet that has experience with hedgehogs but I figured I'd just see what you guys think. I'm praying she just pricked herself and it got infected rather than it being a tumor. She is 3 years old so I know that her chances of getting cancer are getting higher and higher. I'm not sure if the fact that the bump wasn't there a week ago is good or bad.

Either way, I will hopefully get answers tonight. If any of you have experience with infected eyes and if this looks like that, please let me know! I'll update this thread tonight after her appointment.

Thanks, everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: The vet says that it looks like a growth in her third eyelid, aka the eye duct. That extra skin in the corner of the eye (just like the corner of a human eye) She said it is a possibility that the gland there may be out of wack causing it to swell up, but it looks like a growth. If it is cancerous or not, we do not know. I would have to go somewhere else and they would sedate her and take a sample. She gave me eye drops if the eye becomes irritated and dry but for now, it isn't causing her any pain. She's eating, going to the bathroom, and was just on her wheel. She's 3 years old and problems are bound to arise the older she gets. I don't want to do surgery on her.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm sorry to hear the vet thinks it is a growth :(

Hopefully the eye drops help. Did they recommend to remove the eye if it gets worse? I've read before about hedgies having to have an eye removed (for different reasons though) and they managed fine without it since they don't have great eyesight anyways. I'm not sure at her age though if surgery is best.
I'm not very experienced with health issues though so hopefully someone who is will give you some more advice. Keep us posted ♡

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update: The vet says that it looks like a growth in her third eyelid, aka the eye duct. That extra skin in the corner of the eye (just like the corner of a human eye) She said it is a possibility that the gland there may be out of wack causing it to swell up, but it looks like a growth. If it is cancerous or not, we do not know. I would have to go somewhere else and they would sedate her and take a sample. She gave me eye drops if the eye becomes irritated and dry but for now, it isn't causing her any pain. She's eating, going to the bathroom, and was just on her wheel. She's 3 years old and problems are bound to arise the older she gets. I don't want to do surgery on her.
hey chelsea, just wondering wat was the outcome of macy's red eye?, Lulu my hedgie has got the same exact red bump in the centre of her eye (right) she is blind in her left ( originally frm pet shop) so knowing the outcome and solution of macy's would be a huge relief. appreciate ur advise. TQ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts