Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a hedgehog give birth, and I noticed that one of the hoglets have very narrow, red quills. What could this possibly be?

At first I thought it was blood, but I checked closely and saw that most of the quills in the rump/body area has those bands as well. I know very well that the colors wouldn't be permanent until 9 weeks, but this is really strange.

Here are a few pictures:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but I've checked numerous times, it's not blood. It doesn't scrape off.
Checked the forehead and I see some quills with it too. They are near the top of the quill.

Eyes are black. I can see a little shade of mask markings.

·
Registered
228 Posts
These are likely stress marks in the quill. This can happen if the hoglet is ill or has suffered any amount of stress before or during the time the secondary quills emerge.

If the hoglet is healthy and happy (not squeaking constantly) then there's likely nothing to be concerned about.

Bryan

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have seen this. They lose those quills when they about 1 week old. They are easier to see on light colored hedgehogs. You would not normally see this because you should not be handling the babies under 1 week old.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for your replies.
Stress marks.. that's new to me.
It was there since the first day. She is now 9 days old and it's still there. Hehe.

The baby doesn't look weak btw, in fact she's the biggest in the litter. The mom is very nice and lets me hold her babies ever since. Even at day 1.

·
Registered
228 Posts
As the quills are growing out, any stress on the body reduces the supply of materials needed for quill development. As a result, the quills can contain traces of the original blood that gorged the quill as it was forming. "Pinch" marks are also common - quills become much narrower in diameter in places that coincide with stress during development. This is also common in feather development in birds.

Bryan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that you mention it, I remember this girl having deep marks on her skin.
Lemme check my pictures.

Here it is. That's her on the lower right.
That was just a few minutes after the mom delivered the 3rd baby (4 total)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3 years experience only.
Yeah, I know I'm lucky that my hedgehog is very nice.
She's really tame. I do not endorse this act, so for the people out there wanting to try this out, please do not.

I just know my hedgehogs very well. I have not a single one eaten/die on me yet. Aside from that, all babies have been really good-tempered as well. I have not experienced a grumpy one in 3 years.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
bryan said:
These are likely stress marks in the quill. This can happen if the hoglet is ill or has suffered any amount of stress before or during the time the secondary quills emerge.

If the hoglet is healthy and happy (not squeaking constantly) then there's likely nothing to be concerned about.

Bryan
I've had a couple of babies with the red on them and I always assumed it was blood. Learn something new every day. :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nancy said:
bryan said:

Bryan
I've had a couple of babies with the red on them and I always assumed it was blood. Learn something new every day. :lol:
Yeah, this site is very informative. I refer this site to all those interested in hedgehogs in my area.

Anyway, here's him at 1 week old (left one). It's at the end of the quills now.
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Those last 2 photos really help to confirm my suspicions. If you'll notice, the quills with the blood spots coincide fairly well with the bruising seen at day 1. If they aren't gone by the third quilling at 4 weeks they should be gone by the 4th at nine weeks of age. :)

Bryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.