Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I could really use some recommendations on how I can play with my hedgie. She is very friendly (huffs a little when I first pick her up, then calms down and is fine) but doesn't seem to like any of the toys I've given her. I gave her a hot wheels car, a plush ball, toilet paper tubes, plastic ferret jax, even a small stuffed hedgehog for snuggling - and she shows absolutely no interest in any of them in her cage whatsoever. In fact, they have all remained in the same place the entire time. When I take her out of the cage to play, I've given her some of those larger cardboard tubes that she can crawl inside and a ball with a bell inside and it's the same thing - not interested.

Lately whenever I take her out of the cage she either wants to make a beeline for under the couch or just snuffle around on the floor. She doesn't seem to like climbing on me too much. Mostly though, she just likes to burrow in the fleece blanket I have for her on my lap and take a nap.

I'm in the process of building a rather large play pen for her to let her roam around in at night when I'm home and she seems to like her CWS wheel (I've never seen her use it, but there's always poo on it!) - I guess I'm just wondering what else I can do to play with her and interact with her besides letting her sleep on me while I pet her quills. I want to bond with her because I love her so much! :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Re: Recommedations: Hedgie hates toys

TOYS:
toilet paper tube
Pop fridge boxes
Boxes; cereal, ricerony. Ect
Plastic Easter eggs, put treat inside, and they can learn how to open it and get the treat!
Plastic dump trucks, they can learn to dump it and get the treat
Cat ball with bell inside
Baby teething rings

Kleenex box
Stuff with bedding and it can be used as a bed or a hide away

Old Socks
* made of fleece*You can leave them alone or stuff them with bedding. These can become a favorite pillow that gets dragged around the cage. Tie off or sew the top closed. You can also stuff the toe with a tennis ball. Cut the toe off and they can crawl through it!

Tennis Balls:
May be better than cat toys as they will roll around easier on bedding.

Ping Pong Balls
To push around.

Small, Lightweight Bowls
Items that they can toss or get inside, like an empty cottage cheese container.

Pine Cones
Pine cones don't have the pine bedding risk, but they should be sterilized first. Bake first to sterilize at approximately 200° for 20-30 minutes on foil to catch any sap drippings. These might be a favorite.

Small paper grocery bags: These are easy to find and inexpensive. Just fold and toss when dirty. I have found that if I lay one on its side that the hiding and exploring personalities seem to enjoy them!

Crumpled up pieces of paper: Some hedgehogs enjoy pushing these around, and the exploring type may find them interesting until they figure out what it is.

Sheets of newspaper or wrapping paper: These items can be fun for hedgehogs to explore and crawl under, and it can make interesting noises
which some hedgehogs apparently find entertaining. Most newspaper ink is now made from soy-based dyes which are safe, but check with your newspaper company to be sure. Also, make sure that there are no staples which could poke the hedgehog in the eye

Mirrors
On the outside of the cage. If they are on the inside, make sure they are pet-safe.

Children's Wooden Blocks
For chewing and pushing around. Please make sure any children's blocks are not coated with any sealants (shiny or smooth looking) and are basically just plain

Plumbing Pipe
If you already have some 4" wide plumbing pipe, the different joint combinations (T's and elbows and +'s) can make interesting tunnels for the hedgies to run through and hide in. Please be aware that while PVC pipe is not toxic to your hedgehog, it is one of the most environmentally damaging plastics on the planet.

Small Stuffed Animals
These can be used in the same way as stuffed socks. Some hedgehogs use them as pillows or something else to cuddle up with. IF your hedgehogs chews on the stuffed toy, the stuffing inside may be harmful. In that case, you should switch to a sock stuffed with bedding, or if your hedgehog really likes a particular stuffed toy, but chews enough to get to the stuffing inside, you could replace the stuffing with
bedding and sew it back up.

Paper Bowl
This can become a favorite to be dragged around the cage.

hope this helps good luck with ur little 1!!!!!!<3 :D

·
Registered
5,914 Posts

Gatecrasher wrote 'Lately whenever I take her out of the cage she either wants to make a beeline for under the couch or just snuffle around on the floor. She doesn't seem to like climbing on me too much. Mostly though, she just likes to burrow in the fleece blanket I have for her on my lap and take a nap".

Sounds like you have a cuddler :D

·
Registered
28 Posts

hedgieluver said:
TOYS:
toilet paper tube
Pop fridge boxes
Boxes; cereal, ricerony. Ect
Plastic Easter eggs, put treat inside, and they can learn how to open it and get the treat!
Plastic dump trucks, they can learn to dump it and get the treat
Cat ball with bell inside
Baby teething rings
you have to be careful with some balls with bells inside, the ones with openings can be alittle dangerous, the hedgie may cut his tongue on the bell

·
Registered
15 Posts

Trixie likes to push around small rocks (sterilized first) about 2 x 2 inches each. TrixiesMom

·
Registered
135 Posts
My guy will not play either. Sometimes that's just their personality, and there's not a lot you can do with it. I can agree with boxes and bags, anything that your hedgie can crawl into and push around. My guy also has been known to occasionally push around a ball, and I did find a cat ball that has a bell but no holes to get stuck in. One time he crawled into my boyfriend's shoe, started annointing, and refused to come out, it was hysterical. :lol:

Mostly though, if you have a hedgie that doesnt play, just embrace the snuggle factor and enjoy cuddling with your little one. Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I found a ferret sized "kong" (those red rubber treat holders) and Winston seems to like that. I put freeze-dried mealies and crickets in it, he goes bonkers trying to get them out, haha! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have gotten my 'hog Julius used to crawling around on me. I have a bed which is very low to the floor, and I lay on my bed, and Julius crawls around on me like I am a piece of gym equipment. He seems to have a great time climbing and sliding off me onto the bed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sonic likes playing with Aston Martin Vintage hotwheels car... Though if I put a Toyota in his cage he doesn't touch it... I don't know why, he is a really funny hedgehog... Though he still likes his wheel a little too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts