Hedgehog Central banner

Recently adopted Texas hedgie.

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  rainbowcookie 
#1 ·
Hello, My name is Sasha and I recently adopted one of the Texas Hedgies: Cyndaquil. This is my first hedgie. I've researched over and over again about them, before and after I brought him home. He's been a great addition to my family. I'm rather curious over a few things he does that I can't seem to find info on. First is he only comes out of his hedgie sack if I pull him out to play or if it's around 1am. He does seem to really like snuggling in one of my fleece blankets with me while I watch TV, read, or do things on the computer for hours in the evening. He tends to stretch out on my lap rather than ball up like he does in his cage. I've offered a variety of toys for him but so far he seems to really like toilet paper rolls. He will push his face into it and run around the room with it up in the air. I found this really strange at first and it worried me. After watching him do this numerous times, it looks more like a game he's playing. He will take the tube on and off by himself and when he gets bored with it he will run to me and climb into my lap. He's rather affectionate which is another thing I didn't expect but enjoy. My boyfriend jokes all the time that we got another "retarded pet". He doesn't mean that in a bad way just that most of our pets are strange and don't act normal. The other day I was rubbing his side and he rolled over onto his back and let me scratch his belly and started to kick his back legs like a dog. All this behavior has me baffled. I love my little guy but is this normal?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hedgehogs are nocturnal...

My boy doesn't come out unless I physically roll him out of bed, or it's nighttime and the timer on his light has gone off. So I have a light timer for at least 12 hours of light, regardless of what it's light outside.

Many hedgies LOVE tp rolls. Can even do a search on youtube for many videos. However, if there is unsupervised tp playtime, make sure you cut the roll open, so your hedgie won't get his head stuck with no one to help him.

Enjoy the cuddleness of your hedgie. There are many people who would LOVE to just go and steal yours cause he sounds so **** cute. :lol: My boy's a cuddler as well, and if I put him on the ground, he'll actively seek me out and climb up into my lap to sleep.

#3 ·
He really is awesome. I keep telling everyone at work he's the best pet ever Lol. My cat isn't to happy with me right now. Neither of them would ever hurt him, as a matter of fact if he goes close to Tubby she runs from him, but she shows her dislike by sleeping close to me with her back facing me.

#9 ·
Cyndaquil sounds awesome! Enjoy that cuddliness and the furry little belly to rub! I have 5 TX rescues and they are all so different... Bonnie is so beautiful, but she's so MAD all the time! She's not scared of humans, but I think she remembers USGE and is mad that humans mistreated her!

Pepper and Bridget are sweet cuddly girls. They like to cuddle in fleece blankets kinda like Cyndaquil. I think the hedgehogs like that are just happy to be with their real families now. If he's acting "retarded" or silly, maybe he's just thinking the whole family is full of pets who don't act normal and he wants to fit in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.