Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just need some reassurance. I recently posted that i was diagnosed with Salmonella...I had a phone call today from the the health unit saying that they typed the salmonella and it's a type found in hedgehogs. I am soooo paranoid now that I will get it again or my kids will get it. I just don't know what to do, I am using rubber gloves when I clean their cages and antibacterial soap and purell after that. I haven't held them in 5 days, and I won't let the kids hold them. I'm considering seing if my sons playschool teacher wants them. She has a hedgie and recently lost one to WHS.
I just don't know what to do.....help? Please don't flame me for being a horrible person, I feel bad enough as it is.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I read a news article awhile back, no idea if I can even find it again.

From what I remember, the infection rate of salmonella transmitted from hedgehogs to humans is about the same as hamsters to humans. My mother was all :shock: when she first saw the article, but I kind of brushed it aside when I realized that the same thing can happen with hamsters.

Just always wash your hands well with antibacterial soap after handling, and you should be fine. If you're really worried, give your hedgies foot baths or foot wipes before handling, to clean off their poopy feet.

I'll see if I can find the article online, because I doubt I still have the cut out from it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*edit*
This isn't the article I was talking about, but it gives good info.
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_27651.aspx

Now, if you REALLY want to get paranoid :lol: List of diseases that can be transfered from animal to human:
http://www.petdoc.ws/zoonotic_diseases.htm

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
All animals and people can carry and pass salmonella. It is everywhere. Take your hedgehogs to the vet and have them tested. If they have it then treat them. Make sure you and your children wash hands after touching the hedgehogs or any other animal and before eating, after going to the bathroom etc. All stuff that you do anyways. :)

The city news article listed below if ridiculous and full of miss information.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you guys....I feel really dumb, but much better lol :oops:
I think I was caving to pressure from other people to get rid of them, I'm not considering it anymore. I had my boys out last night and realized that there is no way I could ever have them anywhere else but with me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.