Well, first of all, you can't boil in bleach. Bleach explodes if heated. And "assuming" there is no residue is just that, an assumption. Assumptions aren't facts. Bleach used for laundry is 1 cup per washload, which is diluted and then rinsed twice. And I do NOT and have not EVER bleached my babies clothes, my grandbaby's clothes or my animals textiles.vkanev1 said:I have yet to see what exactly is wrong with rawhide for dogs (or hedgehogs, for that matter). Boiling something in bleach will sterilize it. Assuming there is no residual bleach on it, this is the safest disinfectant known to man. You wash your laundry in it and then wrap your babies in the swaddling cloiths, don't you? This has been done for centuries.
WHat exactly is the danger in rawhide for dogs?
Since bleach is rendered inert by sunlight, line dried clothing is fine, which would account for the safety of it years ago but we no longer line dry our clothes.
The issue behind rawhides is multifaceted. First of all, the rawhide is exactly that. Raw animal hide. From mostly dead or diseased animals. If it's not from a US source, it's likely contaminated with chlorine, arsenic and heavy metals. Safer if it's from the US but still bleached and can still contain chlorine.
In addition, chewed wet rawhide is a breeding ground for bacteria. Since rawhides get chewed, left, chewed, left etc, the bacteria contaminates the rawhide, the floor, the entire house. And it can make the dog ill b/c of it, as well as make the family ill from the bacteria.
Lastly, rawhide is a choking/digestive hazard. Dogs can soften a long strip of rawhide and choke to death trying to swallow it. If they do swallow it, it can cause a blockage in the gut.
You, of course, are free to give your animals dangerous things. Your choice. But don't try to make it ok for everyone because it isn't. It's wrong, it's potentially deadly and it's not necessary for the dog's wellbeing, much less a hedgehogs.