Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that you could give hedgehogs rawhide bones to subside their chewing needs. I am a little skeptical; should you really give a hedgehog a rawhide? :|

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hedgehogs are not rodents and therefor their teeth do not continually grow. I hedgehog will no go out of its way to chew on things, and most do not like to chew when they have to.

On the other hand, rawhide is not only bad for hedgehogs but for all creatures. The rawhide will expand in a creatures stomach and cause pain and possible impacted bowels.

If your hedgehog is biting your finger, it is most likely because you didn't wash your hands before handling. If he is not biting you, the only thing he really needs to chew on is his food.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
azyrios got that right. Hedgies don't need to chew on things, and are not rodents. If you search this forum, I believe there was a thread about rawhide a while back. ;)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I also remember a post about rawhide a while ago. Just in case you can't find it, I think I mentioned in that post that rawhide is actually very unhealthy for not only hedgehogs but dogs too. They use bleach to give the rawhide that white colour and it can make dogs really sick. Even supposedly "natural" rawhide can be dangerous. You have to be really careful with food and treats for dogs and cats because it is not as regulated as human food so many dangerous ingredients and chemicals can be found in some treats and food.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, definately right all of them.

A note for dogs, though, if you want to give your dog any time of rawhide for their chewing needs, bone marrow is the best way to go. Lots of butchers will actually give away bone marrow for free or for a few cents each or something really worth it. Bone marrow doesn't splinter and is completely healthy and okay for dogs to eat.

Back to the hedgie discussion now!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts