Hedgehog Central banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I don't think there is a most common hedgie colour. I see lots of chocolates and greys, but I'm not sure exactly what range the most common would be. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
LizardGirl said:
Good breeders care first about temperament, then colour. If a breeder wanted to do that, they'd have to line breed/inbreed to get those kinds of colours, which imo is irresponsible.
I see. I think that a bunch of breeders should get together though and breed all of the nice cinnacots they have that are in different families. One of those purple or blue hedgies would be amazing for everyone to see and could sell for almost a thousand. U know what? I think that having a breeder get togethier to do that would be an awesome idea.

Anyways, the most common is like Chocolates and Browns i think. Least common are many white (not albino) ones, snowflakes, the lightest non albino ones, the darkest ones, and i guess you could say pinto in different variations can even be rarer.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
iamdbf, you are taking it too literally. Reaper was just saying the possibility for something new to show up is there. He didn't actually mean that for sure, breeding cinnacots will result in purple hedgies. :lol:

·
Registered
408 Posts
How does he know? I'm kinda asking how is it possible to predict that? Did it happen once, or did people see a pattern in mutations? Or something else? What?
Btw, i know who bryan is.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Check out the Hedgehog Color Guide http://www.hedgehogcolors.com/

It has lots of very technical stuff about color genetics, mutations, etc. Only problem is, that you'd really have to "know your GENETICS" to understand most of it. But it will give you some examples and pictures of the various color possiblities. He does have some "blue dilutes" and "lilac dilutes" posted on his site! Here are a couple examples that came from his website.

LILAC quills
[attachment=0:2bzuuvul]lilac quills.jpg[/attachment:2bzuuvul]
BLUE-Amber quills
[attachment=1:2bzuuvul]blue-amber quills.jpg[/attachment:2bzuuvul]
Pigmentation Pathways
[attachment=2:2bzuuvul]PigmentationPathways.png[/attachment:2bzuuvul]

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
LizardGirl said:
iamdbf, you are taking it too literally. Reaper was just saying the possibility for something new to show up is there. He didn't actually mean that for sure, breeding cinnacots will result in purple hedgies. :lol:
I know he doesn't mean for sure. But still. A sonic ish hedgie would be so beast!

·
Registered
408 Posts
PixiesExoticHedgies said:

It has lots of very technical stuff about color genetics, mutations, etc. Only problem is, that you'd really have to "know your GENETICS" to understand most of it. But it will give you some examples and pictures of the various color possiblities. He does have some "blue dilutes" and "lilac dilutes" posted on his site! Here are a couple examples that came from his website.

LILAC quills
[attachment=0:2znque7f]lilac quills.jpg[/attachment:2znque7f]
BLUE-Amber quills
[attachment=1:2znque7f]blue-amber quills.jpg[/attachment:2znque7f]
Pigmentation Pathways
[attachment=2:2znque7f]PigmentationPathways.png[/attachment:2znque7f]
less blue then i thought, but still cool.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
iamdbf said:
justin j said:
if i had a blue heagehog i would name is sonic :D
many ppl still do. (i mean, name normal one's sonic)
i just think that it would be cool to have a dark blue headgehog named sonic. but yea sonic is a cool name for any headgehog. i was about to name nine sonic but i thought snowball was better dont you think :?:[attachment=0:2m7itdpj]09-07-08_0019.jpg[/attachment:2m7itdpj] i mean with his color when he rools up into a ball he just looks like a snowball :D

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts

There are several problems with this site, not the least of which is the fact that the 2 photos of blue quills are in very young juvenile hoglets - possibly 2 weeks old. There is simply no way one can use such photos as evidence as this is not the adult colouration nor will it ever be! It is a period of time when both the visible and carried colour sets mix and are visible. By 4 weeks this hedgehog will be an entirely different colour and by 9 weeks, that hidden, or carried, colour set will no longer affect the visible colouration.

Let me start by saying that no blue hedgehogs have yet appeared. The mutation required has not occurred yet and is still only speculative. But, if a new mutation should occur, it will occur in the black side of the spectrum, leading to Blue.

The colours that Ryan Dickey claims are neither accepted by the international standard nor are many of them plausible. Ryan has time and time again patently refused to work with the hedgehog community and this is the result - fracture. Fortunately, this fracture has a very small following.

Please, don't follow his colour chart! We have spent 15 years trying to get everyone to speak the same language on hedgehog colours, and I can assure you that no strange new colours that aren't in the HHC and IHA colour guide have popped up in all that time.

Those are the facts, folks

Bryan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
bryan said:

There are several problems with this site, not the least of which is the fact that the 2 photos of blue quills are in very young juvenile hoglets - possibly 2 weeks old. There is simply no way one can use such photos as evidence as this is not the adult colouration nor will it ever be! It is a period of time when both the visible and carried colour sets mix and are visible. By 4 weeks this hedgehog will be an entirely different colour and by 9 weeks, that hidden, or carried, colour set will no longer affect the visible colouration.

Let me start by saying that no blue hedgehogs have yet appeared. The mutation required has not occurred yet and is still only speculative. But, if a new mutation should occur, it will occur in the black side of the spectrum, leading to Blue.

The colours that Ryan Dickey claims are neither accepted by the international standard nor are many of them plausible. Ryan has time and time again patently refused to work with the hedgehog community and this is the result - fracture. Fortunately, this fracture has a very small following.

Please, don't follow his colour chart! We have spent 15 years trying to get everyone to speak the same language on hedgehog colours, and I can assure you that no strange new colours that aren't in the HHC and IHA colour guide have popped up in all that time.

Those are the facts, folks

Bryan
so it is very unlikely that there will ever be a blue headgehog. (by the way i would still name it sonice and if i see a silver headgehog i would name it silver from the game sonic the headgehog) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Thank you, Bryan! (I didn't have the courage to say anything against that particular site... :roll: )

·
Registered
228 Posts
justin j said:
so it is very unlikely that there will ever be a blue headgehog. (by the way i would still name it sonice and if i see a silver headgehog i would name it silver from the game sonic the headgehog) :lol: :lol:
It actually is possible to get Blue... but not just yet ;)
Once enough breeders have worked with the black gene long enough, it'll crack and another 10 standard colours should theoretically, be available along with their associated variants - snowflake, white and double-white.

Bear in mind though, that when we first developed the colour guide, only 20% of the colours had been seen to that point in time. There was a discernible pattern to the colours, however, and with the exception of only 2 colours we were able to accurately predict what the missing colours would look like. I can't tell you the feeling of going to a show and being presented with one of those new colours and, based on the Colour Guide, be able to identify it based on the predicted markers for that colour.

So, to make a long story short, we have a pretty darn good idea what the next colour mutation will look like... it's blue... and it's only a matter of time before that one is cracked. :)

Bryan

·
Registered
475 Posts
Bryan,

Thanks for putting that information out there for the public, in regards to the color chart. I was never informed of these issues and will remove the link from my website. I absolutely love the HONESTY that is on this site .... and it's done without discrimination and insults! Let's keep it that way.

Pixie

·
Registered
408 Posts
justin j said:
iamdbf said:
[quote="justin j":2ualn1ox]if i had a blue heagehog i would name is sonic :D
many ppl still do. (i mean, name normal one's sonic)
i just think that it would be cool to have a dark blue headgehog named sonic. but yea sonic is a cool name for any headgehog. i was about to name nine sonic but i thought snowball was better dont you think :?:[attachment=0:2ualn1ox]09-07-08_0019.jpg[/attachment:2ualn1ox] i mean with his color when he rools up into a ball he just looks like a snowball :D[/quote:2ualn1ox]

It is definately better. I think sonic is too unoriginal.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.