Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a large dog crate for my birthday to use as a hedgie cage.
It's for large dogs so it is 2 ft x 3 ft so I'm wanting to make a second story. I'm thinking of building a ramp instead of using tube's. So my question is...
How steep should the ramp be? I want her to be able to easily walk up it with out getting hurt or slipping down.
and
How high do I need to make the side's of the ramp to keep her from falling off?

Any Suggestions? :?:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I'm not sure a dog crate will be suitable for a hedgehog. What size are the openings? Can you post a picture of it. Most dog crates have openings that are way too large for a hedgehog. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
You have to be careful for the highest of the floors because even if there's a ramp or tubes, the hedghog could fall down of the floor. They don't have a good sight so they won't see well the place they have to go to go down.

I have a cage that my friend did with a terrarium and it has a step and I put a ramp to go on the step. I saw many times my hedgehogs, both, that jump instead of taking the ramp. Fortunately the step is not very high.

(Clic on the it to see the whole picture)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got coroplast around the bottom and it will be around the upper floor. and the upper floor will also have a wall (of some kind haven't decided yet) in the front so she can't fall.
The opening are 1 1/2 inches.
Shelby can get half way out. (can't now that I put up the coroplast) my other girl Wasabe can't fit through though.
Everything will be enclosed (safety first).
Shelby is already living in it.
She's a runner and doesn't like a wheel so I'm putting (eventually) her bed room up stairs so she will have room to run downstairs.
And I'm also going to put a ramp in Wasabe's cage it has the second floor that came in it and it is the same size as the bottom floor so don't have to worry about her falling. it came with a ramp (which I have clamped up so she can't get to it right now) but it looks to steep to me and it is wire so I have to cover it before I let her on it. When Shelby lived in this cage I had a tube going to the upstairs but Wasabe don't fit in it very well. (she's a little pudgy)

I will take pics later and post them.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here's some pic's of it now.
Haven't added the second story yet I'm getting all the supply's and plans for the ramp and all before I start the "construction" on it.

All I need to know is:

1.) What degree of an angle to make the ramp.

2.) And should the side's of the ramp go all the way up or would 4 to 6 inches be ok for it?
I don't want to build it and then her get hurt.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*BUMP*
Anyone?? :(

·
Registered
395 Posts
vex was able to climb a 35 degree incline if it was lined with fleece. I would try to keep it below 30 degrees, maybe 25, just in case her leg gets hurt and then she can't sue it as easily.

(vex can climb a 70% ramp as well, but he struggles alot.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Climbing the ramps is not the issue. It's coming down. Too steep an angle and often they slide or fall down it, or just won't go down at all.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
azyrios said:
vex was able to climb a 35 degree incline if it was lined with fleece. I would try to keep it below 30 degrees, maybe 25, just in case her leg gets hurt and then she can't sue it as easily.

(vex can climb a 70% ramp as well, but he struggles alot.
Thanks! :)
I had already started the construction on it and since I wasn't sure I guessed and I believe the steepest ramp is at a 30 degree and the other is a 25.

I let one of the hedgies walk up and down it so I could watch and make sure she didn't have a problem and she seem to do fine going up and down.

I will post pics of it when it is finished if anyone wants to see it.

Nancy said:
Climbing the ramps is not the issue. It's coming down. Too steep an angle and often they slide or fall down it, or just won't go down at all.
Wouldn't the same thing happen with a tube if it were to steep?

I don't want my hedgies to fall down a ramp or tube.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Shelbys Mom said:
You should make sure that the ramp is at a steady slight angle to prevent that from happening. The point of the enclosed tube is to keep the hedgie from falling off the side at a high angle and possibly getting injured. Angling the tube correctly should help alleviate any problems with sliding down.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zalea said:
Shelbys Mom said:
You should make sure that the ramp is at a steady slight angle to prevent that from happening. The point of the enclosed tube is to keep the hedgie from falling off the side at a high angle and possibly getting injured. Angling the tube correctly should help alleviate any problems with sliding down.
The ramps will not have any open sides at all. well except the ends to get on the ramp.
and where the ramp comes up on the top floor I'm planning to cover the "hole" with a little "house/building" so they can't just fall in the hole from the wrong side.

How far up do the side of the ramps need to come to be safe? would 3" be high enough?
I may just make a wall I haven't decided yet on that.

I got the ramps in and the supports in the upstairs. Got to put the flooring (coroplast) upstairs.
and build the little building. and put the coroplast on the back wall, and make the front wall and it will be done. (I think)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts