Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have each of my hedgehogs in identical setups. They are in Tommy 82C cages with CWS wheels, and plastic igloos. I will be using fleece liners, water bowl instead of bottle etc.

I want to be ready for fall when temps drop. The cages are side by side with their igloos nearest the other cage.

Could someone tell me if there is any difference in my using a radiator with thermostat vs. heat emitters hooked to a thermostat.

Also I am worried about leaving either a radiator or heat emitter on while I am at work. Isn't this a fire hazard? I will probably use Snuggle Safes when I am not home.

I would appreciate any comments. Thank you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As far as I know, a ceramic heat emitter bulb uses the same energy as a light bulb so it isn't really a hazard to leave on while you aren't home. A snuggle safe disk might get too cold before you get home.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Radiator style space heaters are very very safe and can be left on when you're not at home. I have been using one in my hedgehog room 24/7/365 for almost 3 years now and have never had any trouble with it. Before that my husband and i used them in one of our barns to keep it warm and never had any trouble. They don't get hot enough to burn when touched and have a safety shut off in case they are knocked over.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your thoughtful answers. Hmmm, still trying to decide between the right set up for me and the hedgies.

Leaning toward radiator as it would keep me and the chihuahuas warm too. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts