Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear everyone on hedgehog central forums

Thank you so much for your kindness and support. Today I took Pickles to the vet where it was discovered that in the past month since he's been there, he had lost even more weight, another 10%. He was 1/3 of his original weight and had been fighting a good fight for quite a while. He was begginning to lose function over his lower body due to wobbly hedgehog syndrome which had taken away his ability to do the things he loved most, like explore and run on his wheel.

It was decided that his quality of life was at stake. I made one of the hardest decisions in my life and agreed to have him put to sleep, as it was not fair for me to keep him around while he was wasting away. We cuddled together for a while, and Pickles did something he normally never does because he was such a little explorer; he fell asleep in my hand. I kinda feel like it was his way of telling me it was his time and it was okay to let him go.

I'm having a horribly hard time right now, because pickles was a big part of my life and had been with me through thick and thin. He was a sweet hedgie, always calm and never hissing or raising a quill. The vet often told me how much they enjoyed taking care of him, he was the only hedgie in their history of practice where they could take a blood and urine sample without having to put him under anasthetic.

Once again thank you to everyone that has offered answers, reassurance and support. You definitely were a big part of helping me care for Pickles for five long years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are no words that could adequately convey how sorry I am about the loss of your sweet Pickles. It was a hard decision to make but probably the right one because you wouldnt want to see Pickles suffer. *hugs*

·
Registered
47 Posts
i'm soo sorry for your loss. :cry:

·
Registered
508 Posts
so sorry to hear of your loss, i know how your feeling, i just lost my little baby only a month ago and i still cry just thinking of her,
but pickels knows he was loved and cared for and im sure you will see him again :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts