Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to be geting my first hedgehog in july an I am just makeing sure i have the right suppiles for him I am going to have a 32 inch long by 19 inch wide cage. igloo. fleece liners. food an water dish. running wheel. food from the breeder. toys. hedgehog bag/sleep sack.i just have a question on the heating can you teel me if this will be good enough. i will have a 60watt Fluker's Ceramic Heating Emitter.a Fluker's Porcelain Clamp Lamps. and a ZooMed Repti Temp Thermostat well let me no what you all think an let me no if i am missing anything thanks TOM :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i can easily get a bigger cage i am most worried about the heating i want to make sure it will be good enough thanks tom

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You can get away with a smaller cage for now probably especially if your new little friend gets lots of play time out side the cage. Plus I think that some hedgehogs prefer running on a wheel to running around the cage so a cage on the small side does not make that much of a difference.

My cage is about that size and I don't find that it is too small. The only thing is you probably don't need the igloo. Try it to see what your hedgehog prefers, but my igloo just seemed like it was in his way. He didn't really use it and it was so big. Instead I put in an extra liner folded in half in one corner that way he has a little sleeping space that he can also run on top of when he's awake.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
My hedgies have their own room and i use a space heater to keep it at the right temp.
I don't know anything about the 60watt Fluker's Ceramic Heating Emitter.a Fluker's Porcelain Clamp Lamps. and a ZooMed Repti Temp Thermostat But someone on HHC will be able to tell you there's alot of people that use the ceramic heater.

·
Registered
912 Posts
buddhaman24 said:
i am going to be geting my first hedgehog in july an I am just makeing sure i have the right suppiles for him I am going to have a 32 inch long by 19 inch wide cage. igloo. fleece liners. food an water dish. running wheel. food from the breeder. toys. hedgehog bag/sleep sack.i just have a question on the heating can you teel me if this will be good enough. i will have a 60watt Fluker's Ceramic Heating Emitter.a Fluker's Porcelain Clamp Lamps. and a ZooMed Repti Temp Thermostat well let me no what you all think an let me no if i am missing anything thanks TOM :mrgreen:
Cage is probably okay... if you don't have it yet you could get some of the other supplies first (eg, wheel, igloo, dishes... the stuff that will take up floor space), see how much room they leave for hedgie to run about, then decide on a cage size based on what you're seeing.

As long as you have a wire-top, plastic-bottom cage, the heat emitter/lamp/thermostat set up sounds good. I have a 100 and 115 watt bulb... they work fine, but might be overkill. I also have a 215... that was definitely overkill! I did decide to use two bulbs and two lamps because my hedgie's cage is sort of long and I wanted to make sure the whole thing was warm. Also, I wanted to have one as backup in case the other stopped working (which did happen to me/my hedgie).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
smhufflepuff said:
buddhaman24 said:
Cage is probably okay... if you don't have it yet you could get some of the other supplies first (eg, wheel, igloo, dishes... the stuff that will take up floor space), see how much room they leave for hedgie to run about, then decide on a cage size based on what you're seeing.

As long as you have a wire-top, plastic-bottom cage, the heat emitter/lamp/thermostat set up sounds good. I have a 100 and 115 watt bulb... they work fine, but might be overkill. I also have a 215... that was definitely overkill! I did decide to use two bulbs and two lamps because my hedgie's cage is sort of long and I wanted to make sure the whole thing was warm. Also, I wanted to have one as backup in case the other stopped working (which did happen to me/my hedgie).
yea it is a wire-top cage with plastic-bottom i just want to make sure i have everything befor i bring him home in july an i will look at my cage with the stuff in it an if it is to small i will get a bigger cage. I just thougt i would get that size cage for now our untill he starts to get a liitle bigger thanks tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts