Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share the story of Quillson's first two days. When we drove down to get our new hedgehog we knew the petstore was getting 2 hedgehogs. They were holding them both for us to pick the one we wanted. Two hours and a little later we arrived at the petstore and told them we had come to get our hedgehog. Well the store owner brought out just one hedgehog it was an algerian gray female. He said he thought the other one was sick and stressed but we wanted to see that one too. Here was this little cute cinnamon tipped quilled guy in a plastic container. When i held him I knew what the problem was. His belly was cool. I held him close and warmed him up and within a minute he was moving around and bright eyed. He didn't roll up at all on me. The female did though. lol It was a tough decision but I really liked the little guy and my wife and I knew we made the right decision. We learned both of them were basically shipped in crates similar to what they ship fish in. No wonder Quillson was a little cold. The petshop guy was going to get the little girl under a heat lamp asap.
My only concern was these guys were being fed some kind of commerical ferret food and also cat food. Susposedly they've done good on it. It definitley wasn't marshall's ferret food that I know. (we're working on getting him off that food btw. working in spyke's delight and will also get a good cat food.)
My wife does the driving, so I held Quillson. We also were staying at her mom and dad's overnight. We already had our cage and things with us. So we got to her mom and dad's and got Quillson settled in. He was doing really good. So everything was going good until about 2:30 in the morning when across the road...the neighbors trailer caught fire. It was pretty bad and what was worse is there was a propane tank near the trailer that if that caught fire was going to make a situation even worse if it exploded. The whole house was in panic and I was trying to get my inlaw's dogs to stay inside and my wife was trying to chase down the neighborhood's adopted dog(who was the hero that alerted everyone to the fire in the first place). So my father in law runs across the road and gets the neighbor's dog out of the pin. The trailer was empty of people....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(sorry had to break this up somewhat)
Anyways, my father-in-law gets the dog out of the pin and gets him away. Fire trucks get there and start hosing the fire when electric line goes down. At this point they have to shut the hose off and we start to panic a little(fire getting a little close to the propane tank). Luckily they get around the wire and get the place hosed so finally it eventually got put out.
The whole time guess what Quillson was doing? Eatting. Nothing was bothering him. Not the fire whistle, not the sirens, nothing. What an eventual day. :shock:

Second day we left for home and Quillson was huffy very huffy along the way so I ended up holding him the rest of the way. He took 12 poops on me and peed to finish it off. lol Poor little guy got car sick. When we got him home he was fine. The little guy has had a long two days and with all the travel I'm really thankful he did as well as he did. I can not express in words of how much this seems surreal with a new hedgehog in the house. I know we're going to learn new things with him. He is the youngest hedgehog we've had. We knew our Hedgie was probably almost a year old when we got him because he never went through the quilling stage and same with Snoop. Snoop I think was just small.

Quillson hasn't wheeled yet, refused his first mealworm, and licked but didn't eat his little bite of banana. lol We think he'll like those eventually.

Just wanted to share this with everyone here. We're very proud of our little Quillson.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.