Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is enjoying her new hedgehog very much. She named her Thistle Lavender. How will I know when Thistle (10 weeks old) is quilling? Is it very obvious? I have see a few slender quills on the bottom of her cage. Is that quilling? Thank you!

·
Administrator
3,605 Posts
Some are obvious some are not. Some will lose lots of quills, some will not. Some get grumpy, some don't. With Rose the only way I knew she was quilling was that I would occasionally find a tiny baby quill, but she had lots of new quills poking through her skin. Quills grow in full size. So you should see full size quills start to poke through and grow in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My guy is going through it right now. I asked somewhere else, but general grouchiness and a smaller appetite is normal, just to let you know. My guy is still semi playful, but would rather sleep.

Also, the first 1-2 days he lost ~5 a day, for the last 3 days, he has lost ~30 quills a day, so be prepared for some massive shedding. I don't know if all go through this, but he is going to be bald soon if he keeps this up another couple weeks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts