Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
my boyfriend and i got our hedgehog just about 2 weeks ago and yesterday i found that she was quilling(i didnt even know what that was until i looked up her weird behavior). we've seen the recomended oatmeal bath but im a bit worried about trying it out- thing is shes still pretty shy around us plus my house is cold so A) she might be traumatized a while afterwards B) it might be difficult to do (struggling etc.) C) im scared to death shell catch cold even if we dry her of corectly and everything.
so, is there some other "treatment" we could try? precautions to take with this one? or is not worth it given the risks? ive read some places that talk about geting her to a vet and although were willing to take her if necesary if it can be avoided so much the better- we live in Chile where the vet will be really expensive and well have to wait a while to see her
so any and all sujestions are more than welcome :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, we have a heating pad (blanket type ones) which we put under her cage and when we take her out of her cage we also put the heating pad near so she can get on it if she's cold. We also read we could dry her up (after the bath) with a hair blower.

But we're still not sure about the bathe, because we're not sure of what the risks are (specially of catching a cold) and we're not sure about the details of how to bathe her: how much oatmeal, which type of oatmeal, do we rinse the oatmeal off? ...Different sites say different things.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Christemo said:
I use this: http://www.drugstore.com/aveeno-baby-so ... s/qxp57476

I use maybe a quarter of a packet, and yes, you need to wash it off.
Thanks for the product suggestion! I've been debating buying this for Brillo, glad someone else can back it up!

As for keeping your hedgie warm- there should def be some sort of external heating source, whether that is a space heater, ceramic heat lamp, or whatever. After a bath though, I make sure to snuggle little Brillo for at least an hour and a half to make sure he is totally dry. Plus, I figure he will forgive me for the bath if he gets extra snuggles and treats. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts