Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Penny is 11 weeks old and is going through quilling. When I brought her home from the breeder she never once quilled at me or hissed and now I walk over to her cage and she hisses immediately. Please tell me this ends and she will go back to my sweet Penny!:sad:

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Quilling happens at 6, 9, and 12 weeks. Some can have all three blend together & have one long quilling, sometimes they can take a bit longer than 12 weeks. But she should get over it sooner or later and calm down. :) It's perfectly normal, just try to be patient. Keep in mind how she's feeling - she has needles popping out of her back, so she's in pain and life sucks right now. Try not to touch her back or press down on her quills. Oatmeal baths can soften skin & help sooth them a little sometimes. But mostly it's just a matter of waiting it out & understanding why they're upset.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quilbur was a bit of a biter at that time.. I gave him a nice oatmeal bath and used a bit more olive oil than you normally would to soften his skin and he got a lot more agreeable. Also he seems to be a lot happier being held through fleece. He doesn't bite at all or hiss as much that way. Just think of when you lost teeth as a kid and the new ones hurt while pushing through your gums... and imagine that over the whole back half of your body.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts