Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my little Oscar just began quilling yesterday...I found out the hard way
I went to lay down on my bed, when I felt a shooting, stinging pain in my ribs...and you can probably figure out the rest.

ANYWAYS, my question is, (on a scale of not many to a lot) how many quills will my hedgie shed, and will there be a lot on the floor after I let him play?
And is it normal for their behaviour to change during this period of time?

·
Registered
70 Posts
All hedgehogs are different when it comes to quilling. Some lose alot of quills every day and some only lose a few. So there is no way to know how many he will lose daily. If he does lose alot, there will be alot of quills on the floor after he plays. I just pick up every quill I see fall off of Bruce when he is out playing. I'm sure you will still get poked on occasion by that elusive quill that gets lost in a blanket or carpet, lol!

My Bruce is getting close to being done with quilling, at least I think so. I say that because he is losing less little quills than he was. How old is Oscar? If he is a baby than it is likely he is quilling. Even adults will lose a quill every now and then.

And yes, they can get very "grumpy" when they are quilling. It is quite uncomfortable, new quills will be growing in and poking through his skin, OUCH! There skin can also get dry which makes them uncomfortable as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your reply :D
Oscar is about 8 weeks old...is it normal for him to quill at that age, as in does he still count as a baby?
And, yes, I was getting worried about his dry skin, but I carefully check over most of his body to make sure there are no external parasites every night.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes 8 weeks is the right age for quilling. Oscar is a still a baby at 8 weeks. You can get Aveeno oatmeal bath and give him a soak if his skin is really dry. Its soothing and he may appreciate it. It may help the soothe the quilling pain temporarily too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts