Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing around with my hedgehog tonight and noticed another quill that had dried blood at the base. I found the first one a month ago and I was a little worried but then I gave him a bath and within a day or so the quill was perfectly fine. The second quill that I have found is on my hedgehogs head and he is not showing any sensitivity to it. I'm hoping it will heal like the last one but I'm just wondering why this is happening. Also, my hedgehog is quilling and is losing a lot of quills. I know it's not mites but how many quills is it normal for a hedgehog to lose daily?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I've been leaving this post alone because I don't have enough experience to know the full range of normal-quilling.

They can loose a lot of quills at once. As long as you keep seeing new quills growing in and he's not developing bald patches, it's probably fine.

I don't know what would be causing the injury you're seeing at the base of the quills. Any chance you can get a photo?

I've heard that sometimes mites can produce "crustiness" around quill bases, but I'm not sure what that would look like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sometimes they can have ingrown spines and they'll be red and infected. Other times, it could be an under the skin infection cause by mites. Either way, give him an oatmeal bath every few days to help ease the quilling process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts