Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my hedgehog, Uni, for about a week or so. He's about a month and a half years old. First couple a days in, I noticed that he had yellow specks crawling on his nose, near his eyes, around his ears, and some around the top of his head and the back. It wasn't anything too much so I rubbed some of them off of his face with Q-Tips and washed him with vegetable oil. I checked the top of his head and there wasn't any buildup around his quills, on his nose, or face anymore, but I think they're still there.

So yesterday night, I heard him scratching a lot while he was running. He would stop and scratch for like a couple seconds and then keep on going. This kept on and going. This morning I checked and saw about 15 quills (give or take) on the floor of his cage. I looked at all of them and saw that they still had the ball on the end of it. Every time I would take a peek at him he would ball up, spike his quills, and huff and puff.

I don't know if he's losing all of these quills because of mites that are causing him to scratch, or he's just quilling and it's irritating him. Is scratching excessively during quilling normal for hedgehogs? This is my first hedgehog and I'm kinda new to all this.

Also, his old owner that I bought him from kept him in wood shavings, I removed them and I'm keeping him in paper shavings at the moment, so that could be where he got the mites from.

And, when he spikes up, there would be a few tiny little patches of baldness, but I think it might be from quilling. There's no excessive buildup of crusty things around his quills, ears, or face, but I just want to get rid of all the possibilities of mites.

Can someone tell me if this is from mites, quilling, or maybe both?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
One test although isn't 100% accurate is that people rub the hedgie's back against a dark shirt (like black or navy) and get the flakes on the shirt and use a magnifying glass to see if the flakes are moving or not. If the flakes are moving than it means that mites are present on your hedgie. Best of luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you saw bugs crawling on his nose he most likely has a bad case of mites. This requires a vet visit, no matter how busy your parents are. Mites can be easily treated with Revolution but you have to see a vet to get it.
Yeah, I bathed him at least one every other day. Now there is no orange moving bugs on his nose, eyes, or behind his ears anymore to my knowledge.
Before, whenever I looked on his face, he had orange dots on it and some little clumps behind his ears. I still hear him scratching every night when he runs on his wheel. He stops and then continues and then stops, this repeats almost all night. It's like he's furiously scratching. I don't know what is happening. Do you think it's dry skin or maybe quilling?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the sounds of it, it sounds like he has mites and you need to take him to the vet and ask for revolution
Your hedgehog has mites. Bathing isn't going to get rid of them it just reduces the numbers a bit. He NEEDS to see a vet for treatment. This is not quilling or dry skin. HE HAS MITES.
Don't worry, I just made an appointment to the vet for Saturday. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the help!:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your hedgehog has mites. Bathing isn't going to get rid of them it just reduces the numbers a bit. He NEEDS to see a vet for treatment. This is not quilling or dry skin. HE HAS MITES.
I used Flea and Tick Shampoo to help him with the mites and stuff until his appointment. It said it was oil-based and stuff like that. He seems to be acting normal at the moment, but do you think it is safe for him? Obviously, I won't be doing this every time I give him a bath, but I just want to make sure it isn't toxic or anything to him. :|

1 - 13 of 13 Posts