Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an image of a close up quill that came off of their hedgehog while they were quilling? I'd like to have an idea of what the quills look like when they're quilling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone have an image of a close up quill that came off of their hedgehog while they were quilling? I'd like to have an idea of what the quills look like when they're quilling.
I'll post some for you when I get home from work. Rosie just started quilling like CRAZY -- and to me, they don't look like full quills. They're little white slivers of quills. If you look SUPER CLOSE, you can see a tiny bulb on the end of them, much like the bulb we have at the end of our hair follicles that have been plucked from our heads.

I couldn't find any pics online when she started, but the breeder said that's definitely what's going on. I'll be sure to provide pics for future first-time owners who may be nervous about it, like I was! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm sorry, guys! I'd completely forgotten about this until I ran across the photo I took on my phone that evening! If you still need a reference... these were about 1/3 of the quills that I cleaned out of Rosie's cage one evening at the height of her quilling. Some are tiny and white and some are thick and banded. Depending on your hedgie's coloration, you may see the color vary a bit :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts