Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 month old baby Phoebe seems to be scratching ALOT. Could it be that she's started quilling a little early? I really hope it isn't mites. I'm using pine shavings so it could be a possibilty... i found little quills lying around on the bottom shelf where she was incessantly scratching. It's a little too early to tell whether her mood's been affected though :?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Do the lost quills still have the root attached. From what I understand if they still have a little ball at the base of the quill it is not mites (I guess mites eat the root?)

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
From what I have read the ball being attached does not mean mites are not present. I am sure others with far more expertise than me will be along shortly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A quick test at home before you bring her in for vet verification is to rub her quills while holding her over a black piece of paper. Take a good look at the white bits that fall off, if it moves it's mites, if it doesn't it's dry skin. This is not 100% of course, but can give you an idea. Using a magnifying glass if you have one is best, and bright light so you can get a good look. The only way to know for sure is a vet check up, but the test above can give you an idea.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Again, not a 100% test but does she have any crusty orange buildup at the base of her quills? That would indicate mites.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
LizardGirl said:
Again, not a 100% test but does she have any crusty orange buildup at the base of her quills? That would indicate mites.
Usually yes but not always. Our Emma had orangish brown crust around her quills when she was having the massive quill loss and huge sheets of skin flaking off. She was just about bald but the few quills she had left developed the orangish crust. She did not have mites, fungal or bacterial infection. Her problem was hormonal brought on by endometrial overgrowth in her uterus. Once spayed, she went back to normal.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hedgehogs typically begin to quill at 8-12 weeks, so two months would be right on for quilling--which causes itchy skin as well. That's likely all it is. Just keep an eye on the quill loss and see how many she's losing. If she starts to get bald spots or develops any other sign of mites, a vet visit might be in order. In the meantime, however, give her an oatmeal bath and lots of lovin' because if she's quilling she'll need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts